Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9208  
Subject: Clones - psuasskicker (recap) Date: 3/4/2002 2:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
1. e4 c5; 2. Nf3 Nc6; 3. c4 Nf6; 4. e5? Overextending himself a bit. The lesson learned was that it's often not worth it to chase a minor piece with a pawn just for the sake of chasing. White found out he could not defend his now overextended pawn. 4. ... Ng4; 5. Qe2 Qc7; 6. Nd4 Giving up a lost cause to defend the e pawn and trade knights instead. Ngxe5; 7. Nxc6 bxc6 Doubling his pawns to open the b file for his rooks. 8. Nc3 e6; 9. f4 Again chasing a minor piece with a pawn. This was not as costly, but did take a good bit of effort to defend. 9. ... Ng6; 10. Qf3 Bd6; 11. g3 0-0; 12. Ne4 Ba6 Choosing to develop and accept the knight vs. the bishop. Black looks to try to lock up some advanced posts for his knight and try to ensure it's better than white's bishop. 13. Nxd6 Qxd6; 14. f5 Ne5; 15. Qf4 Qd4 Noting a material advantage and a nice open file for his rook, black wants the queens off the board badly. 16. fxe6 dxe6 Looking to ensure he doesn't have another set of doubled pawns after the impending queen trade. 17. Qxd4 cxd4; 18. d3 Bxc4?? It's now pretty clear how flat out stupid this move really was. The sacrifice gives black tremendous position with two centralized passed pawns, and the white king still sitting in a wide open center. The problem was not with the idea of the sac, but with the fact that black gave white FAR too much time to develop his pieces and make terrific use of the extra material. Much better would have been for black to line up his rooks down the d file before the sacrifice, or to continue developing his material advantage which was just becoming significant. This blunder, in my humble opinion, cost black the game. 19. dxc4 d3; 20. Bg2 Rad8; 21. c5! Locking the c pawn in as bishop-bait, and preparing to get rid of the knight defender, to give white a newly passed c pawn. 21. ... Rd7? I think almost all these moves deserve question marks because black does nothing to counteract this threat of getting the knight off the board and white getting an extremely active bishop. 22. Bf4 f6; 23. Bxe5 fxe5; 24. Bxc6 Rd4; 25. Bb7 Rb4? An idol threat that was never carried out and therefor qualifies as a wasted move in my book. 26. Ba6 e4; 27. b3 Rf7 Note the passed white c pawn from here and how, by itself, it dominates the black rook's attention. The threat is a c6 advance, and with the bishop hovering ever close, the black rook is forced to hang out on the second rank. The pawn has no chance to advance, but the simple fact that a pawn completely hog-ties a rook is a dominating statement in and of itself. 28. Bc8 Rc7? Rather than defending the e6 pawn, black chooses to rid himself of the passed c pawn in hopes of getting that rook active before white can cash in. It wouldn't work. 29. Bxe6+ Kh8; 30. 0-0 g6 If not, white can mate by Rf8. 31. Rf8+ Kg7; 32. Raf1 Rxc5; 33. R1f7+ Kh6; 34. Rh8!! And this puts in place what would become an unavoidable cycle towards mate. Black has no chance unless he can keep white's king in check every move from here, but thinks he (I) has a chance because he (I) missed the bishop guarding g4 and thought the king would be able to run there eventually. Rc1+; 35. Kf2 Rc2+; 36. Ke1 Re2+; 37. Kd1 Ending any prayer for black. 37. ... e3; 38. Rhxh7+ Kg5; 39. h4+ 1-0

Clones played an excellent game! Gabe, mark it down. Clones, any time you want to play again, I'm up for it, but you'll be on vacation and we should match up with someone else first anyway. I'll definitely look for a rematch soon though! :-)

Comments and/or questions are welcome!

Chris
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement