Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently closed out an Intel DRIP account so that I could deposit my shares in my regular brokerage. I have some questions regarding how to treat this for tax purposes:

1) I had a fractional number of shares left over which was liquidated (and they sent a check). Which shares should I use to compute the cost basis? I assume it would be the oldest shares in my account. Is this correct?

2) Intel changed the way they do rounding so that their records and my records differ slightly. Should I use my records or theirs when I report the number of shares sold? According to their records I sold 0.096 shares and according to my records I sold 0.095514. Does it make any difference to the IRS which number I use as long as the total proceeds match up?

Thank you,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.