Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SmokinLizard Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1805  
Subject: Close encounters Date: 1/8/2002 9:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I just heard a *blip* on msnbc news about an asteroid, about the size of France, that just missed hitting Earth by about the same distance that the Earth is from the moon.

(or would it have made a hole about the size of France?)

Either way,

*phew!*

TYJ!

£izard.

Oh, yeah, whilst lookin' for more on this, (which I haven't found yet) I came across a cool page regarding fuel for deep space exploration:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/08jan_sunshine.htm

(Solar winds)

enjoy!
Nice to still be here, ain't it?!?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SmokinLizard Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130 of 1805
Subject: Re: Close encounters Date: 1/8/2002 9:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"the size of 3 football fields" it was...

amazing, they see this stuff comin' in the movies...(???)

Author: TMFOrangeblood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131 of 1805
Subject: Re: Close encounters Date: 1/8/2002 9:39 PM
Recommendations: 2
Here's a link:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/01/07/killer.asteroid/index.html

Here's the scary part:

"What particularly troubles Peiser is that scientists only first spotted 2001 YB5 in early December. What if it had been heading on a collision course?

"That's not enough time for any initiatives for deflection. If we had 20 or 30 years' time, then we could develop a technology to deflect an object. With our current lacked of preparedness, we are helpless," he said."

Yikes!

orangeblood

Author: redbaron7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 134 of 1805
Subject: Re: Close encounters Date: 2/6/2002 4:37 PM
Recommendations: 1

"What particularly troubles Peiser is that scientists only first spotted 2001 YB5 in early December. What if it had been heading on a collision course?

They're getting better, then! Often these small rocks are only identified after closest approach!

RB
PS: Only just found this board after TMFSelena's post over on Notable Boards. I guess I've haven't spent as much time in astronomy recently, but keep up with a few websites & New Scientist.
(in the past I was on the Committee of the Cambridge University Astro. Soc, and hence have used the oldest telescope in regular use - the Northumberland)

Author: jiml8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135 of 1805
Subject: Re: Close encounters Date: 2/6/2002 8:26 PM
I, too, am here from TMFSelena's post. Guess I'll bookmark the board and drop in occasionally.

My wife teaches astronomy at an area university, and we have the school's 9 inch reflector set up in our house.

Author: SmokinLizard Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 140 of 1805
Subject: Re: Close encounters Date: 2/11/2002 10:15 AM
Columnist Dave Barry wrote a thoughtful piece regarding our recent "close encounter":

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/2633774.htm

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement