No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay - have been reading 4 books on preferred stocks, closed-end funds,reits, and ETF -

getting one -half percent on my savings while not losing principal is good (not to lose) but if i live till 90 that gives me 30 years of inflation - soo - I am trying to bite the bullet and step out of my comfort zone( such as it is) of blue chip stocks and Treasuries(money market funds and cash - and get a NEW investment outlook - that said - been reading posts on theReit boards and preferered boards -is there a place for discussion to learn more about closed-end funds?

i am trying to make up the dividend loss from the treasuries (was getting 3.7 years ago) my original plan to just wait it out turned out not to be so good - so be patient with me i am trying to absorb new learning but it also requires a NEW outlook !
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
-is there a place for discussion to learn more about closed-end funds?

I eschew funds. I've found dividend paying stocks that have been paying dividends for decades to be the best bet.

It ain't rocket science. Play the odds: U.S. Dividend Champions
http://dripinvesting.org/Tools/Tools.asp
No. of Recommendations: 2
If you cruise the website www.nuveen.com you will find lots of article, etc. on CEF's; it's what they do. I have owned a number of their muni-cef's for several years, and am very satisfied.

rk
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm with you, Dave...I eschew dividend funds....and then spit them out. ;-)

Cheers!
Murph
Home Fool
I'm with you, Dave...I eschew dividend funds....and then spit them out. ;-)

And I thought I was the humorist around here.

A note to anyone just getting started:

One of the differences between a dividend paying stock and a dividend fund that happens to hold that stock is that although the stock pays the same dividend to you as a stockholder and to the fund the fund deducts a fee before passing any profit on to you.

Desert (prefers no middlemen) Dave
I eschew funds

.....bless you
No. of Recommendations: 3
I've been doing this for a while, and one lesson I learned early is to avoid closed end funds. These are purely retail products issued primarily by investment banks and some of the larger commission-based mutual fund groups, who specialize in obfuscation in marketing these primarily to the unsophisticated investor.

I stick with unmanaged income ETFs and individual dividend paying stocks and MLPs, and completely avoid the middle man.

BruceM
I stick with unmanaged income ETFs and individual dividend paying stocks and MLPs, and completely avoid the middle man.

Good point. I stick with individual dividend paying [mostly utility] stocks and completely avoid the middle man.
I completely avoid everyone and bury my money
in a coffee can in the backyard. J/K :)

~~ MrMax ~~
I completely avoid everyone and bury my money
in a coffee can in the backyard.

Uh...was that to the left of the tree...or the right? Folger's or Maxwell House?
I completely avoid everyone and bury my money in a coffee can in the backyard.

Uh...was that to the left of the tree...or the right? Folger's or Maxwell House?

Ya' beat me to it ;-)
Maxwell House of course.
And it is under the bird bath. :)
Ok.

Maxwell House and bird bath. I wonder if it is still Good to the last drop???

Gene
Okay - would you be willing to list yur icome -producing stocks?
Okay - would you be willing to list yur icome -producing stocks?

PNY (Been paying a dividend for over 25 years.)

WTR (A fast growing water utility.)

SO (Been paying a dividend for over 60 years.)

WRE (Been paying a dividend for 38 years.)

You'll find lots more here in the U.S. Dividend Champions:
http://dripinvesting.org/Tools/Tools.asp
No. of Recommendations: 7
Don't let simplistic comments like, you pay managment fee's, or sold to unsophisticated investors ... scare you off. Closed-end funds have both positive and negative aspects to them. The management fee's tend to be high (negative), as due the dividends (positive). They tend to provide good diversification (and thus reduce over all portfolio risk) when combined with other S&P dividend focused assets. They tend to trade at a discoutn to NAV (which is why it's rarely a good idea to buy non-traded closed-end funds like one commenter did but is also why it can be a very good idea to buy out of favor traded closed-end funds). In short, have to do your own homework to understand what you are buying. If you do they can be quite rewarding. If you aren't going to then I suggest you stay away.

Likewise if you are looking for good diversifiers for an dividend stock focused portfolio, midtream MLP's, mREIT's and preferred's are other assets to consider.

Remember it's not the risk inherent in buying one individual asset that matters but the collective risk of the overall portfolio. Buying 5 non-correlated but "risky" assets can definitely have less overall risk (and higher expected return) than buying 1 "less risky" asset.
Thanks - I feel like i am starting from scratch now that i am not reveicing dividends of any consequence from my Treasuries and so i wanted to complie a list of 25 and start the build up slowly - I know many stocks are overvalued right now and so am waiting to buy - especially the reits - i checked the 5 year as well as the beginning and ending year dividend and the 5 i am looking at are at the high end now - never had any closed-end funds so do not know where to start on this investment vehicle - my goal wouldbe at LEAST 5 % return -
thank you - i see that perhaps SO and WRE would be better picks than Emerson electric and VNO-- amlooking for a food stock as well -trying to get the basics - was thinking of Heinz but saw tha tAnnies is growing-- comments welcomed.
Think SO & WRE are good choices. Heinz is nice but Coke & Pepsi should be looked at too. SPAM is a food choice in hard times as well.

Hormel Foods (SPAM)
http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3AHRL

Spam is produced in two facilities in North America: one in Austin, Minn., and the other in Fremont, Neb. The highly automated Spam process requires only 13 workers to keep it running smoothly [source: Wyman]. Pig pieces arrive at the plant, where machines remove the pork from the bone and the ham is trimmed by hand. The meat is ground up in 8,000-pound batches, then flash-cooled and blended with the other ingredients in airtight mixers [source: Wyman]. The Spam is piped to a conveyor belt and pumped into the cans, which are sealed shut.

http://www.hormelfoods.com/faqs.aspx#products
SPAM is a food choice in hard times as well.

...and SPAM celebrated its 75th Anniversary on July 5...not that you'll get any cans that are THAT old...;)
Good input -thanks - i am still making my wish list --how about AEP - American Electric Power and Middlesex water company (msex)?
Desertdaveataol--
Can you share your core stock lisings? What do you think about Leggett and Platt? They have a long history.And KMC?
I have revised my list:
Reits:
WRE
KIm
O
REG
MNR
Stocks:
T
SO
AEP
ED
WTR
WM
TEG
CTl
POM
WIN
KCM
VOD
PB
MSEX
NGG
MAIN

any other suggestions? Thanks !!! An trying to put together a list that generates at least 5% and are relativley stable
how about AEP - American Electric Power and Middlesex water company (msex)?

I'm not very familiar with either except to the extent that they seem like decent choices and MSEX has a long streak of increases.
Advertisement