UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31086  
Subject: Clover killer Date: 1/22/2013 11:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there anything out there that I can use that will kill clover but leave shrubs and annuals alone?

JLC
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BanderFool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30410 of 31086
Subject: Re: Clover killer Date: 1/22/2013 1:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
No, not really, There are herbicides that kill clover but not grass (2,4-D, dicamba) but these will be harmful to shrubs and most annuals.

If possible, you could use glyphosate (RoundUp, etc.) on the clover as long as you don't get it on your desireable plants. It is taken up through the foliage and will kill or stunt any plant it gets on. This is what I do when I have more than I want to handweed in our front beds. I carefully spray around the shrubs and just hit the weeds, then later hand pull the weeds that were too close to my ornamental plants to safely spray.

Author: PoodleLover Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30411 of 31086
Subject: Re: Clover killer Date: 1/22/2013 3:04 PM
...but these will be harmful to shrubs and most annuals.

~~~

I've managed to kill plants that were within 2' of the sprayed weeds. I can only suspect that the RoundUp still migrated thru the soil to the roots of the shrubs that died. No other way to explain. That spray was done on a totally windless day.

Be careful with this poison people... and don't use it anywhere near a food source. Only the developers know how it changes the genome and I'd be worried how it will affect the human aspect of life in the next 10-50 years. Scarey stuff...

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30412 of 31086
Subject: Re: Clover killer Date: 1/22/2013 3:09 PM
I would start with 2,4-d or dicambra. Round-up will leave brown spots in your yard that will be ugly until you get your reseeding to spout.

2,4-d can be misused to be sure, but tends to be much milder in its effects. Weed 'n' feed lawn fertilizer works quite well. I have not had trouble with damage to scrubs or other plants.

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30413 of 31086
Subject: Re: Clover killer Date: 1/23/2013 3:31 AM
Recommendations: 3
You could learn to appreciate it. White clover used to be quite OK in a lawn. It's green, it doesn't stick way up, it isn't spiny, the flowers smell nice.

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30415 of 31086
Subject: Re: Clover killer Date: 1/23/2013 1:21 PM
Recommendations: 4
clover is great food for rabbits and deer. it also holds the ground better puts nitrogen back in the soil and survives dry spells better. aside from that if you pull up the plants you have the nodules in the soil left behind. white clover is great for not having to mow your lawn.

this year we finally got our red clover to take hold and had a field full. did not have to mow for the entire summer. butterfly's were incredible.

that being said I have had great success with smothering it. cardboard works well. wood chips. anytime something green pokes up just add another layer.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30416 of 31086
Subject: Re: Clover killer Date: 1/23/2013 3:52 PM
I guess I'm stuck with the hand and the hoe for now. This is the purple clover that can get really talk and seems to grow best coming out from under my shrubs. Plus, seems like where ever I get my annuals, I also get a dose of clover.

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

JLC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement