Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: wax Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 182  
Subject: Clown Feet Date: 2/2/2007 7:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
The first lesson I learned from CAPS was just how extremely talented TMF's web programmers/designers truly are. I know little to nothing about programming/web design, but the magic these folks create, at least to me, is nothing short of amazing.

So thank you for all of your hard work!

The next lesson from CAPS is the din. With each passing day, the noise seems to get louder and louder. It is the minutia that has now become the focal point of the feedback board.

So great is the passion for the discussion of this minutia, that minutia about prior minutia is being created.

To get a sense of what I'm referring to, just follow this link, but please read the ENTIRE thread.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25108114

The next thing I think I learned is that as a social experiment, CAPS is probably first rate.

It has been my belief since I was a small boy that money brings out the inner person, at least temporarily. I remember hearing someone from my youth say never discuss politics or religion, and I've always tried to heed that advice.

If the link above is any indication, I think investing should be added to the list of things that shouldn't be talked about. It just sort of seems to make folks…complain?

One big lesson from CAPS has been to learn that folks are really good at multi-tasking. I notice that many of the posters to the feedback board have lots and lots of posts, both in pursuit of some previous post and in the creation of some new…proposal for change.

For a long time I hung out on the Foolish Collective board. One time a poster asked a question and received countless answers. I could tell from her follow up questions that she was having great difficulty sorting out the responses relative to her question.

I posted my response and as it happened it was almost at the end of the thread. My response to her was simple. Look at the profile of the folks whose answers you think are the most pertinent. The person that has been a member the longest and has the fewest posts is probably the answer you want to consider first. She wrote me privately and thanked me for helping, so I guess it all worked out.

Now I see in the CAPS world, folks not only have the time to hammer the smallest of things into even smaller things on discussion boards, they have the time to write insightful pitches as well as pick stocks that follow their investing strategy.

Okay, I admit, that I'm jealous because I don't have that sort of multi-tasking ability, but then I'm sorta old, and I have been around the investing block a time or two.

Lastly, I guess I learned that in the world of CAPS, your world consists of just you.

You can take time and care to create pitches, blogs, and all the rest of the things that the TMF programmers/designers have created for us to do, but at the end of the day, the odds anyone is going to see any of it, much less actually read any of it……

I offer no real conclusion as to why I have learned these CAPS lessons. Perhaps what I have learned aren't actually lessons at all. Perhaps what CAPS has done is re-enforce lessons that I have already learned, reminding me that it was once my din, my minutia, and my multi-tasking.

If history repeats itself, if life is truly like a wheel, if bad things happen to good people, then CAPS should go through some major upheaval pretty soon, followed by the quiet, the reverend, the peaceful.

All of which will be replaced by the din, the minutia, and the multi-tasking.

Wax
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement