UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Imaginistics Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1488  
Subject: Re: Others with un-retirement? Your ratio? Date: 10/19/2007 11:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Clrodrick,

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like we have a lot in common as far
as the planning game goes.

Yeah, I too am not going to wait until the ratio is 25 before semi-retiring (maybe radical down-shifting is a better term, to borrow the former term from the "Radical simplicity" movement, about which I have only some knowledge)

And likewise hope to work PT aiming to have that meet two conditions: i. good conditions at work while working about half the hours and ii. aim for breaking even with expenses

if both are meet, then i. makes it worthwhile to quit the fulltime+ job and ii means the ratio will grow over time..BTW, once the ratio hits 28 or 30 and you're can live on 3% per year then unless there is a financial calamity the ratio would still grow over time, most likely, even if not working (for pay) at all..

I too have thought about how I really feel about the ol job..one small, and probably obvious, but to me helpful discover was that now that I realize that I can semi-retire in a few years, it makes it a little easier to smooth out the rough parts of the job..probably folks who are 64 years old in the traditional retirement, have this too, a little more serenity knowing it's not that much more years to go..

Don't know your situation but if you're feeling burned out, it might be helpful to look in the mirror and tell yourself: these poor souls around me will most of them be stuck either here, or at a simliar company, for way more than 5 more years...long, long after I'm living a slower, less hectic, less stressful life with much more freedom from external demands and control, these folks will still be here...even if it's not
the people around you who are the source of the burned-out feeling, just the extra feeling of compassion for them might be helpful in dealing with whatever the actual source of the burnout feelings is...Or maybe I'm way off..just some thoughts..

The other thought on my own life situation is, if I need to I could, in a couple of years, take 3 to 6 months off from the job, I've looked into it and very likely I would be able to get it or very similar job back at same employer. Realize this isn't true universally. But in a couple of years I could do that and live off my savings for that long and not really hurt my long term ratio...and it means if pressure built, I could do that, which would probably recharge my batteries for a good 2+ years more at work, which would help the ratio much more than even taking otu 6months (half a year) of expenses from the total.. So that's another strategy I've been thinking about..

There is always the other opposite danger..that we keep talking ourselves out of is and don't do it until 4, 5 or more years later than we needed to have...and later regret that we were in the daily grind for that many more years than necessary. OVerall though I think it's prudent to err on the side of making sure you have 20+ in your ratio AND have several prospect PT jobs EACH of which has hours, and working conditions, that would truely and honestly be far less stressful, while breaking even with living expenses...

Imag
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement