Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jammerh Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15425  
Subject: Cluster Question Date: 9/8/2013 3:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We've had a lot of rain here lately. Tends to wash out lubricant and wash in more dirt than usual. As a result cyclists around here are lubing more and one problem (I'm not the only one) seems to be the gear cluster can become suspended without engaging the wheel.

The pedals spin and chain spin around freely and the bike goes nowhere. I've taken it to the LBS. First they suggested just spraying in a little more lube, which I'd already tried to no avail (my attempts or theirs).

Now they're suggesting replacement of the gear cluster along with a new chain which would put the total repair bill higher than the replacement cost of the bike. If that wasn't bad enough they're telling me they can't get good quality five-gear clusters and would have to replace it with a six which would probably do the job but never fit quite right meaning the chain would be more prone to falling off.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into a similar problem? One of my neighbors seems to be in the same boat. So it seems reasonable to assume I'm not the only one.

LBS says we should lube the outer rim, but not the inner rim of the back wheel. If we use spray lube on the inner rim it could wash out the grease that in important to this function. But it is difficult to lubricate one without the other. So, I'm wondering if I didn't cause the problem by trying to lube the hub in the first instance?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement