UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (97) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JBtheJunkist Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734966  
Subject: Re: It May Be Time To Change My Vote Date: 2/10/2004 11:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 147
cmnichols1,

During the past two years, I've worked extremely hard to learn to control my angry impulses. Thus far, I've done well, but, as any recovering addict can tell you, I'm a work in progress. I don't know if you were trying to instigate something, or if you misunderstood my post. Since I do not know you, I am going to assume the later. Since you've misunderstood, I take limited exception to the following:

I see someone who wanted an extra paycheck so they signed up for the national guard not expecting to do much more than one weekend a month and two weeks a year.

This is where you are completely wrong. I served in the United States Marines from July, 1985 until October, 1997. I never joined the military to "draw a paycheck". I joined the military to serve my country to the best of my ability. I did so, with honor, and was discharged with an honorable discharge since my particular MOS (military occupational specialty) was over-manned. I was bitter about it for a long time, as I wanted to serve, but wasn't allowed to. I spent the next few years working, living my life, etc. About 18 months ago, an Army National Guard recruiter approached my wife about reenlisting with the ANG. She had 10 years in the Marines, but decided to get out when our first child was born. She decided to enlist in the ANG, and liked the unit so much, that after 6 months of traditional service (one weekend a month, two weeks a year), she applied for and was accepted into the AGR(Active Guard Reserve). She is now an active duty Sgt(E5) and loves it so much that she convinced me, through her devotion and desire to serve our country again, to enlist as a traditional Guardsman. I did so, last July. I spent the next few months in school, but when I found out my current unit was deploying to Iraq, I volunteered to transfer from the unit my wife and I were in (the unit is non deployable), so I could once again serve my country with pride. That is why I am here, and for no other reason than that.

I hate to break it to you, but you signed up for exactly what is happening. To serve the country when it needs you.

I hate to break it to you, but I've been in the military a very long time and I knew exactly what I was getting into when I signed up. Furthermore, I can serve with honor, pride and distinction, and still completely disagree with the (poor) choices that our Commander-in-Chief has made, concerning nearly every major decision during his tenure. If you read my original post again, you will see that I discussed several issues, not just this police action that is wrongly labeled as a war.

I am tired of people complaining about the war. There is no question in my mind that the President believed there were WMD's in Iraq and the Sadam was prepared to use them, as he had previously demonstrated on his own people. The fact that WMD's have not yet been found is irrelivant, we are there and we must finish what was started.

I am tired of people mindlessly following a president who has time and again proven himself to be ignorant at best and incompetent at worst. There may be no question in your mind about the WMD's in Iraq, but there are many, MANY others who have questions, not only about the reasons for America being in Iraq, but also about why we needed to spend an additional $87 billion to be there. There are other questions, and those of us who have them know what they are.

As for not finding any WMD's being irrelivant, you tell that to all the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines who've lost their lives, tell the families who've lost loved ones, tell the service men and women who've lost friends, and don't forget to tell all the many nameless civilians who've all suffered or lost during this action. With the death toll as high as it is, and the staggering cost of the destruction that the United States of America has waged upon Iraq, how can you not question? How can you not wonder about the devastating loss of cultural assets the Iraquis have suffered? The loss of economy? The loss of infrastructure? How can you just gloss those questions over?

There are answers out there. We must keep asking until we get those answers, or cast our vote to let the ruling parties that be that they serve at the will of the people of the United States of America.

Sorry for the diatribe.

Peace,

JB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (97) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement