Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40898  
Subject: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/5/2012 4:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My sister started to take coconut oil on my recommendation and she only took 1 tablespoon per day for about 8 weeks and it raised her HDL by 60%.

I take 4 tablespoons per day and will report what my results were in the middle of winter when I get my vitamin D tested.

Bryan
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37961 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/5/2012 4:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
How interesting.

Is she using a highly processed product, or one of the minimally processed ones that the health food stores carry?

Topical coconut oil is fabulous for skin and hair, but I was unaware of any HDL connection with internal use.

sheila

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37963 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/5/2012 4:35 PM
What was your sister's HDL level when she began? And what was yours when you began?

sheila

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37964 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/5/2012 4:57 PM
What was your sister's HDL level when she began? And what was yours when you began?

My sister's HDL was low but I won't say the exact numbers w/o first asking her if it is ok.

My HDL at it's lowest was mid 30's. I started taking 1 gram of niacin per day and doubled it to 70.

Read the Perfect Health Diet blog about raising HDL http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/04/how-to-raise-hdl/

I stopped niacin supplementation and started taking the virgin expeller pressed unrefined coconut oil. I have tried several brands and usually take the one available at whole foods. Dr. Bronner's is the brand IIRC.

I use the cheap louana coconut oil as skin lotion after showering.

I will report my results at my next bloodwork.

Bryan

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37965 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/5/2012 5:18 PM
I recently donated some whole blood (as I regularly do) and they called me back to say my platelets level was great and they want me to start donating Apheresis Platelet from now on.
Maybe the coconut oil consumption improved my platelets too?

Bryan

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37966 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/6/2012 10:35 AM
If you don't like the taste of coconut you can get MCT oil. Basically the same thing.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019LRY8A/

Bryan

Author: Yankeegymbich2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37967 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/6/2012 12:45 PM
Wouldn't this be considered anecdotal "evidence"?

In reading the page at "Perfect Health", I see a statement made that the reason runners may have HDL which is high (too high) is because "infections abound in runners".

Where does this information (that infections abound in runners) come from?

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37968 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/6/2012 1:26 PM
...coconut oil...1 tablespoon per day for about 8 weeks and it raised her HDL by 60%...

And I thought palm oils were artery clogging.

TB

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37969 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/6/2012 1:57 PM
Recommendations: 2
In reading the page at "Perfect Health", I see a statement made that the reason runners may have HDL which is high (too high) is because "infections abound in runners".

Where does this information (that infections abound in runners) come from?

I don't think you're supposed to ask that question.

You're supposed to accept it, *as is* and, along with Gary Taubes's assertion that *exercise doesn't work* feel you're doing the right thing to sit in your recliner and not move a muscle.

Author: Yankeegymbich2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37970 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/8/2012 5:50 PM
I don't think you're supposed to ask that question.

You're supposed to accept it, *as is* and, along with Gary Taubes's assertion that *exercise doesn't work* feel you're doing the right thing to sit in your recliner and not move a muscle.

It must be the kettlebells and the hula hoop that puts those pesky questions in my head. Maybe it's a hip power thang.

:)

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37971 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/8/2012 6:36 PM
Recommendations: 1
Well, joking aside......and an honkin' big guffaw is the best way of dealing with nitwittery like this......what you're looking at with this perfect health diet site is a marketing ruse to drive the sales of a crack-pot diet book. A very common ploy on the Internet these days (witness all the blogs for Vibram minimalist shoes and barefoot running etc.) It's called "organic" marketing.

This is the home of that >>70%Fat/Strange Carb diet, remember......and the authors are relying on the general lack of appropriate scientific knowledge/critical thinking skills/gullibility of their audience when writing about the stuff they do in the way they do.

Mencken was right.. http://quotationsbook.com/quote/22523/

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37972 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/9/2012 7:32 AM
So, here's a perfick example of the dross that's presented to folk who want affirmation rather than rational information on Internet sites.....presented because you're bound to get clients who want to argue that "less is more"

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2012/09/exercise-is-less-better...

Reading through this entry and the NYT article it's linked to (a.k.a. Science By Press Release *as discussed* on the Weight Lifting board) it's easy to see why folk might be duped into thinking that exercise doesn't work or that less is more or whatever inference suits....

On first blush, it sure looks like the notion of a little bit o' "moderate" exercise beats the heck out of "strenuous" stuff.......seeing as the group that exercised for an hour lost less weight than the 30 minute group. Does this remind you of my explanation WRT my weight management package and compensatory behaviour and NEAT to those crazy folk who actually understand "exercise" on that space?

Either blogsters like this couple lack the ability to read scientific information and draw appropriate inferences........or are totally confident that their readership can't. I don't know which is worse.

Author: swiing One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37975 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/10/2012 3:42 PM
A further problem is the design of the exercise study. Going from sedentary to 60 min of strenuous exercise is too quick of a ramp for most adults. They will not have recovered from one workout before they are doing the next. Being tired and sore limited further activity. Had the study gone on for a year it is likely the 60m group would have been fitter and thinner.

Empirical data suggests a correlation between weight and activity.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37976 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/10/2012 5:16 PM
A further problem is the design of the exercise study. Going from sedentary to 60 min of strenuous exercise is too quick of a ramp for most adults. They will not have recovered from one workout before they are doing the next. Being tired and sore limited further activity. Had the study gone on for a year it is likely the 60m group would have been fitter and thinner.

The actual study was designed to measure how the different levels of exercise provoked compensatory changes. As you point out, exercising beyond your fitness level (which is quite common among folk launching into a weight-loss/exercise programme)tends to cause you to rest up a bit more during the day and eat more both through hunger and "rewards"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22855277

To be able to work hard enough to burn 600 Cals in an hour, your have to be pretty darn fit. To be able to work hard enough to burn 600 Cals in an hour, you have to be REALLY fit. The sort of fitness level that can't be had with a few weeks or even months of "working out"

Incidentally, dieting also tends to cause this economy of movement to some degree. When we did our informal study at the start of the year, we all chose our own diet and noted and compared our results. I used a pedometer to track my movement before starting the diet and then for the few days I could manage to hack it before dumping it. My average step count went from about 12,000 steps a day to about 7-8,000. Not quite a couch potato but a noticable difference. I would never have guess without the pedometer, mind, as my volitional activity (housework, dog walking etc was the same)

The NYT article did as good a job of reporting as you could expect, but look how the duo touting the Perfect Health Diet presented it...

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37977 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/10/2012 5:24 PM
oooooops hit the wrong button....

Those who exercised 30 minutes a day were seemingly energized by their exercise, as they became more active in their daily lives – more likely to take the stairs, for instance. Those who exercised 60 minutes a day, on the other hand, seemed to be worn down by their exercise, and became less active in daily life.

It seems that 30 minutes of exercise improved health but 60 minutes of exercise may have diminished well-being. When it comes to exercise, perhaps, less is more.

The study made no mention of "wellbeing"...it was compensatory change and energy balance.

The answer is.....when it comes to exercise doing it right is better than doing it wrong.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37978 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/10/2012 5:27 PM
Should have read..

To be able to work hard enough to burn 600 Cals in an hour, you have to be pretty darn fit. To be able to work hard enough to burn 600 Cals in an hour, and not provoke compensatory changes for the rest of the day you have to be REALLY fit.

Author: martybl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37979 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/16/2012 2:29 PM
To be able to work hard enough to burn 600 Cals in an hour, you have to be REALLY fit.

Not according to the calorie counters on my gym's Precor ellipticals. Can do over 500 calories by their count in a 28 minute fat burning workout with a five minute warm down with quite modest exertion. They wouldn't put it up in digital numbers calculated to three significant figures if it weren't completely accurate, right?

martybl

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37980 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/16/2012 4:53 PM
Recommendations: 2
Not according to the calorie counters on my gym's Precor ellipticals. Can do over 500 calories by their count in a 28 minute fat burning workout with a five minute warm down with quite modest exertion. They wouldn't put it up in digital numbers calculated to three significant figures if it weren't completely accurate, right?

Not unless they realised that you were the Honey Badger and a calorie burner of the premier cru

I opened up a can of whupp a$$ on myself this past weekend and I fancy that irregardless of how many kcals. I burned it wasn't enough to bother talking about

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37981 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/17/2012 11:04 AM
I opened up a can of whupp a$$ on myself this past weekend and I fancy that irregardless of how many kcals. I burned it wasn't enough to bother talking about

So, just to double check, I fished my notes out from my workshop where I'd jotted down the numbers on the power meter at the end o the ride......and I burned 320 Cals.

Unlike the regular gym equipment like the ellipticals and treadmills and stuff, the readout from a bike with a power meter is fairly accurate in that the "Calories burned" feasture is directly comparable to the total number of kjoules of power generated for the workout.

Granted it was after I'd already taught my regular class and granted it was an HIIT sesion where a heck of a lot of time is spent at that low intensity "recovery" zone but still, if you believed what trainers to the stars like Jillian Michaels etc. want to tell you, you should be able to burn *at least* 500 Cals in 30 minutes.

Like I said, not enough to bother talking about (or enough to create a deficit if you end up wanting to eat half a cow afterwards and lie around all day to rest up.)

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37982 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/17/2012 11:27 AM
Like I said, not enough to bother talking about (or enough to create a deficit if you end up wanting to eat half a cow afterwards and lie around all day to rest up.)

Ooops.....that *submit message* trigger finger is over active again....

Just imagine, though, what getting fit enough to burn a solid 320 Cals in an hour would do for a person. Then imagine what getting so fit that you can burn this 320 Cals in an hour without it wiping you out or making you starving hungry .....i.e. a gen-U-ine, solid 320 Cals added to the Calories Out side of the energy balance equation.

*Exercise* would work then

Author: Yankeegymbich2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37983 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/17/2012 4:04 PM
I wonder how many calories I'm burning learning how to do a hula hoop corkscrew?

I have to add on the calories running to retrieve it from the other side of the yard.

:)

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37984 of 40898
Subject: Re: coconut oil raises hdl Date: 10/17/2012 4:28 PM
I wonder how many calories I'm burning learning how to do a hula hoop corkscrew?...

Well, I'm trying to convince myself that this learning process activates a fair bit of the CNS.....and seeing as the brain is one of those *BIG FOUR* organs that're responsible for most of the body's BMR/RMR on a day to day basis I fancy that hooping it up is easily going to torch MEGAcalories just for being able to hoop it to the non-dominant side.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement