Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: InvestorGrrl Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 51  
Subject: Coffeehouse Scrabble Date: 8/26/2002 12:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
For those who don't take Scrabble® Brand Crossword Game play all that seriously, but like the game enough to want to meet new people face-to-face through it:

http://scrabble.meetup.com/hq/

An excerpt Q&A from the site:
Is this affiliated with any Scrabble-related organization?

No. MEETUP has no affiliation, connection or association with any Scrabble-related organization. MEETUP simply provides the technology to enable Scrabble Players to MEETUP with eachother locally. Hopefully, this strengthens the Scrabble community. MEETUP believes that people with a common interest don't need permission from a central authority to MEETUP.

I learned of this site when I performed a keyword search for "Word Freak Seattle" on a major search engine.

I joined an online Scrabble club last week and was pleasantly surprised to see, more than once, the following comments from experts, all three are in the book Word Freak:

Hi! Nice to see you here! Sorry you weren't at NSC.

One player even has a chapter all to himself in Word Freak, so I reread the book, to prepare for an upcoming local book-signing and reading, and to learn more about the expert.

My shift toward civic-mindedness (my big reading for the next four weeks is Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam), the warm welcome I received from my club when I made my increasingly rare appearance, and the opportunity to improve my play are gently guiding me back to organized play. Now if only I made the time and effort to study...

P.S. Diane, the Big Apple unsurprisingly has five registered MEETUP people itching for a game. Yet I don't know how keen they'd be to meet on the "International Scrabble MEETUP" day...

P.P.S. My losing streak on-line is telling me I am not yet ready for Portland. But there is a smaller tournament coming up that I might be able to cram for.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement