Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ColdDay Three stars, 500 posts Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 114  
Subject: COH vs KORS Date: 9/24/2012 12:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I wanted to start a thread where we could discuss COH vs KORS a bit. I've been interested in KORS for a while, but only own shares of COH.

In my own circle of friends and family I've noticed that KORS bags have become very popular. I'm 31 years old, same age as my wife, and the only expensive hand bag she owns is a KORS bag. Same with many of her friends. In fact I don't think I have any friends who own a COH bag. Not that my single experience is overly meaningful, COH makes a lot of money and will continue to do so. It's simply an observation I've made which has gotten me interested in KORS and I wonder if KORS is becoming the more popular choice with the younger crowd.

Regardless, without looking too deeply into KORS financials I have not been able to justify buying shares based off the market cap alone.

Currently KORS is valued at over 11b, compared to COH which is valued at just over 16b. FOSL is valued at about 5.5b.

An 11b market cap seems outrageous when comparing it to similar companies. KORS is growing really quickly, but how big could it possibly get?

They raised guidance for next quarter's earnings to 38-40 cents which would put their 2012 earnings at 1.16. An increase of over 300% quarter over quarter.

Analysts are estimating 1.37 earnings this fiscal year, and 1.75 for the next fiscal, representing only 28% growth. That is quite a bit lower then the quarter over quarter growth right now. Arbitrarily bump that growth up to 50% and earnings would go to 2.06 for next fiscal. A PE of say 40 for a high growth company would mean a share price of 82.4, giving KORS a market cap of 16b, equal to COH.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, I originally wanted to write this to bring out my KORS bear, but now I'm bullish and think I'll have to give this company a closer look.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement