UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: retireearlyboi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886558  
Subject: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 4:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
This is going to go off th Coinstar topic slightly, so I started a new thread, but it's related, and I would like to hear other thoughts on what to do with change.

I spend the change as I go along also EXCEPT: I put my quarters aside. In my area (I live in the Heidelberg Military community) the coin laundry takes all quarters. When I get about $8 in quarters, it's just about time to do laundry, and I use the change in the machines.

When I first came here I learned that it would cost me about $1000 to get an "American-style" washer and dryer installed in the basement of my apartment (I live on the third floor). I said politely: "no thanks." I invested the money wisely instead, and began going to the laundromat. I have never been sorry:

1. I don't miss the change.

2. I bought an asset, a $1000 portfolio in passively managed mutual funds, as opposed to a liability: two machines which would begin depreciating the day I buy them.

3. It's faster to make one trip up and down my three flights of stairs to the car, than it is to make many, many trips to what would be my basement laundry.

4. It's better for the environment. If I share a washer and dryer with the community, I am making much less of an impact on the environment than if I spur the production of two individual machines for my personal use. The trip to the laundromat is a short one, and I often combine it with other necessary errands. Sometimes I even ride my bike if the load is small enough.

5. It's faster. I sometimes run 6 loads in pararllel at the laundromat, whereas I would have to run these loads serially in my own personal machines.

Thoughts from other LBYMers?

- reb
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Smartaz Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233162 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 4:09 PM
Recommendations: 1
I agree with all points except #3. It is quite boring to hang around a laundromat with nothing to do. Cheap, but not a time saver at all.

The absolute worst combination is an apartment laundromat, where you can go back to your pad while the wash runs. I once forgot a load for three days.

Author: LucyFred One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233164 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 4:15 PM
Recommendations: 0
I read all your points about going to the laundromat, and I can see some valididty in all of them.
However, I lived in apartment and hauled my laundry to the laundromat for 16 years!!! It can be back-breaking, and I hope to NOT have to do laundry that way ever again!!
Honestly, one of the true pleasure in my home now is the ability to do the laundry without ever having to step outside!!!
I save my quarters, roll them up, as I do other coins, and take them ot the bank, deposit them into a special little account, and use the money to buy things that I truly want or need.

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233170 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 4:32 PM
When I first came here I learned that it would cost me about $1000 to get an "American-style" washer and dryer installed in the basement of my apartment (I live on the third floor). I said politely: "no thanks." I invested the money wisely instead, and began going to the laundromat. I have never been sorry

I do have a washer in the house. In 23 years I have never gotten around to getting a dryer. I still would have to fold or hang things, and they don't get wrinkled if you leave them on the rack for a day or two.

Author: retireearlyboi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233176 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 4:42 PM
>>>
I agree with all points except #3. It is quite boring to hang around a laundromat with nothing to do. Cheap, but not a time saver at all.

The absolute worst combination is an apartment laundromat, where you can go back to your pad while the wash runs. I once forgot a load for three days.

>>>

I read books on investment while at the Laundromat. I would be reading at home anyway. The one trip to the landromat is definitely faster than the multiple trips down and up the three sets of stairs. I am in and out of the Laundromat in less than an hour and a half, washed, dried, folded. I sometimes run six washers, then three dryers in parallel.

Author: IndexingInvestor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233181 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 5:04 PM
Our building has 4 washers and dryers in the basement (50 apartments in our building). The management has a credit card type set up. It is a $1 a wash and $.75 for 45 minutes. I live on the third floor of 3 story building. It works great.

We used to go to a laundry mat and lose money, waste time and rush.
There is one near us but after our prior experiences, nothing beats the convience of doing laundry in the basement.

Author: retireearlyboi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233188 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 5:15 PM
Our building has 4 washers and dryers in the basement (50 apartments in our building). The management has a credit card type set up. It is a $1 a wash and $.75 for 45 minutes. I live on the third floor of 3 story building. It works great.

We used to go to a laundry mat and lose money, waste time and rush.
There is one near us but after our prior experiences, nothing beats the convience of doing laundry in the basement.
>>>>>

Yeah not an option for me (no owner laundry in basement). But, as I said, I sometimes run six machines in prarllel (there are many many machines), and this makes things more efficient than I could ever be in your basement. The power of pararllel processing.

Author: ataloss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233198 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 5:33 PM
. The power of pararllel processing

Oh so that's what parallel processing is

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233207 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 5:51 PM
<<When I first came here I learned that it would cost me about $1000 to get an "American-style" washer and dryer installed in the basement of my apartment (I live on the third floor). I said politely: "no thanks." I invested the money wisely instead, and began going to the laundromat. I have never been sorry:
>>

Personally, one of the things I like about my house the most is not having to use laundrymats. Having to run out to use them is an annoying pain in the neck for me.

On the plus side too, I've spent maybe $100 or so on acquiring washers and dryers over the 17 years in my house. Cheap laundry equipment is readily available for little or nothing around here.

Then, too, it rains a lot in Seattle, and I collect rainwater for washing so that cost also amounts to near zero. Six months of the year I use a solar clothes dryer (a clothesline), and the other six months I hand laundry inside, so fuel costs for a dryer (and wear & tear) are minimized as well.

As a bachelor, I don't have lots of laundry, but I launder lots of blankets I use as dropclothes for my business, so I wind up doing quite a bit of laundry.

So, for me anyway, I invested that $1000 just as you did, and then mostly invest all the quarters you spend as well. How's that for a deal?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: retireearlyboi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233208 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 5:59 PM
>>> Cheap laundry equipment is readily available for little or nothing around here.

Yeah just not the case here, and I'd have to put it in the basement and do one load at a time up and down 3 flights: a REAL pain in the @ss,

>>> I collect rainwater for washing so that cost also amounts to near zero. Six months of the year I use a solar clothes dryer (a clothesline)

Impressive, but not practical here.

>>> So, for me anyway, I invested that $1000 just as you did, and then mostly invest all the quarters you spend as well. How's that for a deal?

I yield to an obviously hard core, died in the wool LBYMer :-)

-reb

Author: SamGribley Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233212 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 6:13 PM
Oh so that's what parallel processing is

I always thought parallel processing meant giving both kids a bath at the same time...

Sam Gribley

Author: mzoltan Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233213 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 6:14 PM
The laundromat concept is fine--until you have a baby. Did the laundromat thing, shlepping all the baby clothes and our spat-upon clothes (first-time parents are never warned that not only will you do a ton of laundry for the baby, you will wear 2-3 outfits a day as well, unless you hang out at home smelling like regurgitated milk--which actually happens some days...I digress.) for 1.5 years. Now, with #2 on the way, I LOVE my washer and dryer in the house, and the $900 we shelled out is SO worth it.

But when my husband and I had no kids, the laundromat was cool. Even better was the basement apartment we had in Cambridge, MA, where the landlord provided FREE washer and dryer!

Mel

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233214 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 6:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
<<>>> So, for me anyway, I invested that $1000 just as you did, and then mostly invest all the quarters you spend as well. How's that for a deal?

I yield to an obviously hard core, died in the wool LBYMer :-)

-reb
>>

Heh, heh! Thank you, thank you [takes a deep bow].

I didn't even mention that hauling around the water is good exercise that helps negate the need to belong to a gym.

I'm waiting for someone to top me by noting that they eliminate the need to buy laundry powder by making their own detergent out of used motor oil or something.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: hgrimmett Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233230 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 6:40 PM
At the laundromat down the street, it costs half as much to do laundry in the triple load machines as it does to do them at the apt complex laundry room, AND I get it all done in about an hour and a half (including drying time).. unless someone else is using all four of them before I get there. I can do a triple load for $4 or three loads in the regular machines for $4.50. (Hint: never do laundry on the weekend at either place if you can avoid it, or go at 6 AM if you must.) IMO the triple loaders are gentler on the clothes as well, since they don't have a central agitator like top loaders too. Also solves the problem of lazy bums who toss their clothes in at the apt. complex then go off somewhere for two or more hours, leaving their wet clothes in the machine... :-p

YMMV of course. :-)

:-)---Holly---<--<-@

Author: Rjribeiro One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233264 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 8:10 PM
My friends used to laugh at me when I was single because I would only go the laundramat once a month. (I had lots of clothes and tons of underwear!) I hated the laundramat and hated the time spent there. I estimate that instead of spending 1 1/2 hrs each week there, I spent 2 hours each month (an extra 1/2 hour for folding) If I had gone every week that would have been 6 hours per month!

This is what they found the most amusing: I had a really tiny apartment, so I would fill up little plastic supermarket bags with dirty laundry and as they filled up I would throw them in the trunk of my car. When the trunk got full I would do the laundry (aprox 1 month).

Now I have a house and a washer and drier, I am in heaven!

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233266 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 8:13 PM
Recommendations: 4
It is quite boring to hang around a laundromat with nothing to do. Cheap, but not a time saver at all.

Plus, they won't allow you to dry your cat in the machines at the laundromat the way you can at home.

And despite what you've read, the microwave is not an option.

Trust me.

Author: NevoN One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233285 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 9:13 PM
Plus, they won't allow you to dry your cat in the machines at the laundromat the way you can at home.

And despite what you've read, the microwave is not an option.

Trust me.

Way off topic, and rather disturbing, but I happen to have personal stories about both topics...

Author: halfnickle Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233287 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 9:21 PM
We have a washer but no dryer, the backyard has a really fancy clothes lines ( 4 directions, 4 lines in a square ). Doesn't rain much in Los Angeles ( drought ) and not for more than 3 days straight. I can consistently do laundry once a week. Actually would be nice to have the kind of rain that Seattle Pioneer gets once in a while... :)

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233306 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/27/2002 11:24 PM
<<. Actually would be nice to have the kind of rain that Seattle Pioneer gets once in a while... :) >>

I'd be glad to swap you for some of that sunshine about now --- my rain barrels runneth over.....

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Smartaz Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233343 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/28/2002 4:41 AM

Careful, some cat lovers are extremely uptight these days. Better lay low for a while.

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233359 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/28/2002 7:33 AM
I invested the money wisely instead, and began going to the laundromat. I have never been sorry...Thoughts from other LBYMers?

I don't want to try to talk you into owning the machines instead of essentially renting, but owning is right for us--family of six. However, one thing to look out for is that some people, even if they own a machine, will wash their most filthy clothes at the laundromat. So, you have to be careful that the washer where you're about to wash your white dress shirts wasn't previously used by a mechanic to wash his greasy overalls or a roofer to clean his tar soaked work clothes.

Sure, those examples are "honest dirt," but I still don't want the residue on my dress clothes.

Bring a book or newspaper to read, and you won't even have "lost" any time by using the laundromat.

Author: payumoff Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233396 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/28/2002 10:12 AM
>>>>I'm waiting for someone to top me by noting that they eliminate the need to buy laundry powder by making their own detergent out of used motor oil or something.

Um, nothing so gross as used motor oil...but I do make my own laundry detergent. Takes about 30 minutes per batch to mix and costs about $2 a batch. A batch of this detergent generally lasts me 4 to 6 weeks where I was buying a $6 box of powder detergent every 10 days to 2 weeks. So I'm saving quite a bit. I'll be making some up later this week and I'm hoping to get an exact load count this time. It makes approx. 4 gallons of liquid detergent and calls for 3/4 cup per load.

;-)

Author: RiverCityFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233408 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/28/2002 10:34 AM
I do make my own laundry detergent. Takes about 30 minutes per batch to mix and costs about $2 a batch.

OK, give -- you can't mention this and not give the recipe or a link to the recipe!

Author: payumoff Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233422 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/28/2002 11:14 AM
>>>OK, give -- you can't mention this and not give the recipe or a link to the recipe!

Homemade Laundry Detergent:

1 5.5 oz bar of Fels Naptha soap
1 to 2 cups of WASHING Soda

****Here is a link to what you will be looking for:
Fels Naptha: http://thedialstore.com/product_detail.cfm?cat_id=1&prd_id=2420004303
There is also a store locator on their website. I get mine at the local HEB Pantry for $1.49/bar. You can use other brands of laundry bar soap but I've heard the FN works best.

Washing Soda: http://www.thelaundrybasket.com/Our_Products/Our_Products_Super_Washing_Soda/our_products_super_washing_sod.html
I found that also at HEB Pantry for less than $3/box and using 1 1/2 to 2 cups per batch, I've made 4 batches and still have some left.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Grate the soap in a small saucepan and add 4 cups of water. Put over LOW heat, stirring regularly. DO NOT BOIL!

2. Put 3 gallons of HOT tap water in a 5 gal bucket and add the soap mixture once it is thoroughly melted. Stir.

3. Add (while stirring) 1 cup of Washing Soda. (If you have hard water, you can use up to 2 cups of Washing Soda for better results.) Mix well.

4. Let this mixture set up overnight. It will form a gel similar to some liquid detergents.

You can either leave the mixture in the bucket and stir before each use then scoop out 3/4 cup per load (for front load machines use about 1/2 as much. For large loads/heavily soiled loads, use a bit more).

Personally, I like to stir the mixture up the next day then I put it in empty gallon jugs (I use old water jugs). I use the top of a 2 liter bottle as a funnel and fill each jug about 3/4 full so there will be "shake" room. Then when I do laundry, I set the washer to warm water and let the water start to fill. I shake the jug to mix and pour in 3/4 to 1 cup of soap and let that dissolve in the washer. Once it is dissolved, I start to add my clothes. If I'm doing a load that should be washed in cold, I switch the washer to cold before adding the clothes.

The first time I used it, I was pouring the soap in last, directly on the clothes. I noticed some of my dark clothes had spots. Once I started dissolving the soap with the water first, I didn't have that problem anymore.

I've used 4 batches now and each time, I adjust the recipe a bit. I started using more of the Washing Soda (2 cups) even though we have soft water because...well, I'm just one of those people that think if a little soap is good, more is better. I've cut back to the 1 1/2 cups and still get the same results.

Also note that this is a Low Suds or No Suds recipe!!! You will not see lots of sudsy water with it but I have been discovering that the "foam" from soap doesn't really do anything more than please the eye. It still gets the clothes clean! My husband's windbreaker that he's had for years had a few grease marks on the elbows and around the waistband that storebought powders never would remove. This year, I washed it in the homemade stuff and all the grease stains came clean.

As with everything...YMMV.

Author: pnwwoman One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233516 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/28/2002 1:43 PM

I went from washer and dryer in house to a laundromat situation. It's not that bad of a deal. Here's why:

1. I put my clothes in the washer. Go run errands. Come back to put them in the dryer. Run errands. No sitting around waiting for me.

2. There's a "free" box and occasionally I find clothes in there to wear. It's a place to get rid of unwanted clothing too.

3. Once, I had a sweatshirt I found in the "free" box that ended up stained. I felt I already had enough stained clothing, so I put it back in the free box. The woman who works there saw it, took it out, and got the stain out. The next time I went she gave me the shirt back.

Basically, the laundromat I frequent is a community that looks out for each other. I live in a small town so it's probably not like this everywhere, but I know if I did laundry at home I'd probably miss the place.

And, yes, having it all done at once is a definate plus.

pnwwoman

Author: EditorialWe Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233570 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/28/2002 2:52 PM
I live in a small town so it's probably not like this everywhere,

Heh. No, it's not. At the laundromats I have frequented in several cities, if you didn't guard your clothes at ALL times you could pretty much kiss them good-bye.

I am reminded of one of Rita Rudner's lines from years ago. "I have a house now...with a washer and dryer...I'm not used to it. I always went to laundromats. So now, when I use my washer and dryer...I still sit next to them the whole time...with a book...and a gun."

EdWe

Author: moonvine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233999 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/28/2002 8:30 PM
In exactly 113 days (not that I'm counting or anything) I will be moving into an apartment with a washer/dryer hookup, and as god is my witness I will NEVER do laundry in a laundromat again.

I'm buying a used washer/dryer for approximately $300, which has depreciated most of what it is going to.

I won't have have to spend my Saturdays at the laundromat anymore.

I won't have to, when the cat pukes up a hairball on some article of clothing, either wait until Saturday or make an "emergency" trip to the laundromat.

If I ever get injured again I will not have to worry about how the laundry will get done because I am physically unable to get it up and down the stairs to the laundromat.

If I wanted to be THE MOST LBYM, I could live under a bridge near work, walk to work, use the shower facilities at work, eat out of the dumpster, and save every dime I made. That kind of life is not appealing to me, and neither is the laundromat.

If you enjoy it though, more power to you, feel free to haul all my clothes there while you're going:)

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 234598 of 886558
Subject: Re: Coinstar Related: Going to the Landromat Date: 1/29/2002 4:33 PM
Thanks for the well-thought-out reasoning for not purchasing a washer/dryer. I almost purchased a washer a couple months ago and then backed out of the deal when I found a cheaper W/D set at another place. Then I just never got around to buying anything -- still schlepping to the laundromat about every ten days to two weeks. The laundromat costs me roughly $10-$15/month. I would like the convenience of not having to go out and deal with the city, but I'm willing ot wait.

Thanks again.

Love
Loving

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement