Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DAMY46 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57415  
Subject: cold turkey Date: 7/31/2001 11:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, I am back at it again, 'cold turkey'.
Damy
1 day and change
Print the post Back To Top
Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20548 of 57415
Subject: Re: cold turkey Date: 7/31/2001 12:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Well, I am back at it again, 'cold turkey'.
Damy
1 day and change

------------

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd be doing cartwheels if I could. :)

Rebecca
One year, ten months, three weeks, five days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 45 seconds. 24353 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,165.94. Life saved: 12 weeks, 13 hours, 25 minutes.

Author: Kcourt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20570 of 57415
Subject: Re: cold turkey Date: 8/1/2001 10:53 PM
Recommendations: 1
This was the only way I could quit - just like the alcoholic, which I am not. However, since I used to be married to a raging alcoholic, I have the weaknesses they have - addiction and compulsion, enabling, etcc.

I remember the day well - I had finally decided to stop after looking at my ash tray, and finding four lit cigarettes (all mine) and knew that I indeed had a problem. I guess I hit bottom. I quit on January 2, 1963 - my husband helped me at first - he quit for six weeks and then couldn't stay away. He started up again and smoked til he died in 1984 of severe alcoholism.

I never had another cigarette - it was not easy, never said it was. However, I had help from my higher power, whom I choose to call God. He helped me through the darkest days, one day at a time. Sometimes it was just one minute at a time. Now, I will have to admit that I am ome of those terrible reformed smokers who cannot stand the smell of cigarettes any longer - maybe that was a blessing from God, I don't know. I do know I am very grateful.

Now, I am glad I stopped - life is better, now I can smell the manure, but I can also smell the spagetti, chocolate - all those things that seemed to disappear.

For those of you who want to stop but don't think you can - you can, with help. Don't think you have to do it alone. We will all help you through it. When you have the urge to smoke, decide you will wait for ten minutes - often by that time, the urge has lessened and you are safe for a while longer. You might not be able to give anything up, but you can do anything, one day at a time!

Let go and let God!

Author: CathySue Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20586 of 57415
Subject: Re: cold turkey Date: 8/2/2001 4:23 PM
I have been thinking of this for some time. I was especially happy to see that you turned in the right direction for strength. As much as I know I should quit, I don't want to. I enjoy smoking and rarely do I hate it. A pack lasts me 2-3 days, but my kids are still always asking me to quit.
I have prayed about this, the urge to quit has not gotten stronger.
I just wanted to say congrats to you for a job well done.

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20587 of 57415
Subject: Re: cold turkey Date: 8/2/2001 4:26 PM
I have prayed about this, the urge to quit has not gotten stronger.
-----------

Your time will come. If you don't want to, quitting can be pertty hard, close to impossible. If you know you should, that's a start in the right direction. Maybe making a list of all of the reasons you know you should quit will help you get to the wanting to part. And feel free to post here for encouragement and support when the time comes. (Or even as you are getting ready.)

Good luck! (And welcome!)

Rebecca
One year, ten months, four weeks, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 30 seconds. 24428 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,175.70. Life saved: 12 weeks, 19 hours, 40 minutes.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement