No. of Recommendations: 0
colesull writes:

Is it better or cheaper to invest money in stocks through a Roth IRA account from a online broker and withdrawing the gains, therefore paying the penalty and not having to pay the capitol gains tax like you would in a taxable account? Or to invest in a normal taxable account and pay the capitol gains tax. (If I did the Roth I would open two and use the other one to invest in the Vanguard Index fund for long term growth.)

I reply:

The 10% penalty imposed upon premature withdrawals of earnings from a Roth IRA is imposed in addition to income tax on those earnings, assessed at ordinary income tax rates, not capital gains rates. If you're going to withdraw the earnings before age 59 1/2 for any reason other than a qualified withdrawal (see the Taxes FAQ), put it in a taxable account. But the best option of all in a taxable account is to buy and hold, thereby avoiding tax (until you sell or you die, whichever comes first). --Bob
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.