Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I owed my previous employer for tuition they paid and which I left/termed within a specified time frame to pay back. They sent me a bill which I disputed and in return laid out how much I think I owe. (I know stupid) Anyway I offered 1/2 of what I figured I owed, the agency has not responded. Should I contact them? How long are they going to take to decide whether they will accept my offer. Is 50 cents on the dollar industry standard when collecting debt?
Print the post Back To Top
Did the employer send you the bill or a collection agency? It is not clear in your post. Also, was your offer to the employer or an agency that now owns the receivalble?

If a collection agency owns your debt, they likely purchased it from your employer for a small fraction of what you owed on speculation that they would be able to collect some or all of it. By acknowledging the debt you very likely gave up what little leverage you might have. They now have more documentation against you if they decide to sue you to get a judgement. With this stronger position they are probably less likely to settle for your current offer.

Much of the advice on how to proceed will hinge on the amount and terms of the debt if you care to share such information. Also the terms of your separation from the company could be relavent.

See the following FTC link for more information on your rights and responsibilities to collection agencies.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/fdc.htm
No. of Recommendations: 5
Why do you think you shouldn't pay them what you owe?

Did they ever issue you a paycheck for 50% of the pay you were supposed to receive?

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 1
>>>Anyway I offered 1/2 of what I figured I owed, the agency has not responded.<<<

Is the difference worth ruining your credit rating?

Or is it already ruined?

Doug
No. of Recommendations: 2
<Did they ever issue you a paycheck for 50% of the pay you were supposed to receive?>

I have to agree with Seattle Pioneer here. Why do you think you shouldn't have to pay them? You admit that you offered 50% of what you thought they were owed. Earlier you indicated that when you left it was with an agreement to pay the tuition back. What happened that you decided you didn't want to pay?
Terri
Legal Word Warrior

Advertisement