UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xxannxx Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: Collections! Date: 1/28/2003 8:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hey everyone,

I'm still sorting through my sister's financial mess. I ended up just paying all of her "current due" so I wouldn't have to think about it.

That leaves her BK (which is suspended until February), and, to my surprise, 3 accounts that have gone to collections!

They are:

CAMCO for Citibank
10/24/02 letter offering settlement. I don't believe there's been any more correspondence since then, although the letter says their "most generous offer" expires 11/30/02. The offer was to pay $1401.05 on $5,254.26.

Education Debt Services for USDOE
4/30/02 letter requesting payment in full ($5221.01)
7/28/02 letter that they would begin collecting by offset of any Federal payments (although she also owes the IRS, so her tax refunds are long gone before the DOE gets there, I imagine)
10/11/02 letter informing her they're going to start garnishing her wages. New balance $5421.39

General Revenue Corp
11/6/02 letter referencing "Federal Family Education Loan", balance $5450.32, taking over default from USA Servicing Corp.
11/21/02 "DUE DILIGENCE" notice; new balance due $5466.25

I forwarded copies of all of the letters to her BK attorney (who doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed, IMHO), and he said they weren't included in her BK filing. Yikes. He also said that he'd have his secretary send them all "leave Cathy alone" letters, but as they weren't part of the filing, all it might do is buy me a little bit of time.

I have heard many people here (wild, in particular :) say to never contact the collection agencies except to tell them to cease and desist, but unfortunately, I don't know how to track down the original paperwork associated with the loans. The BK attorney told me he thought that the 2 student loans might be the same loan, but I'm not sure who to call to find that out.

- Should I contact USDOE first and foremost?
- Then should I contact Citibank (even though I don't have an account number, I bet they could find her account).
- Does anyone know if USA Servicing Corp might be Sallie Mae? I know they do FFELPs.

I haven't tried calling anyone yet. I thought I'd plumb the depths of wisdom here first. I'm very wary of making a wrong move with these people.

Oh, and my sister has no money. Zero. Not even any change in her wallet. Actually, less than no money because all she has is debt.

I'm hoping she'll be approved for CA SDI within the next couple of weeks, but I don't know how much that's going to be.

sigh

I'll try to think about my own financial situation again soon.

thanks everyone
xxann

ps She's doing much better, regained nearly 100% physical function. Her cognitive functioning, however, is slower to return. She's being discharged to my house on Friday. But that's a *whole* other story.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement