UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58868  
Subject: College Degree, No Class Time Required Date: 1/24/2013 9:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
This is a very significant development. Worthless, for-profit colleges have offered "credit for knowledge", but this is a first for a recognized, public university with a good reputation.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732330110457825...

David Lando plans to start working toward a diploma from the University of Wisconsin this fall, but he doesn't intend to set foot on campus or even take a single online course offered by the school's well-regarded faculty.

Instead, he will sit through hours of testing at his home computer in Milwaukee under a new program that promises to award a bachelor's degree based on knowledge—not just class time or credits.

The charges for the tests and related online courses haven't been set. But university officials said the Flexible Option should be "significantly less expensive" than full-time resident tuition, which averages about $6,900 a year at Wisconsin's four-year campuses.

</snip>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47434 of 58868
Subject: Re: College Degree, No Class Time Required Date: 1/24/2013 10:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Depends. Except for lab and other hands-on/demonstration type courses you can get a PhD in almost any subject at the library. As long as the knowledge is actually tested and verified it doesn't matter if you got it through reading or avocation, or pizzing away your days in front of some dumbfk "professor" automaton doing papers as a ballbusting exercise.

When I was in the military I earned actual degrees from actual accredited schools with a combination of classes, credit for certain schools the USAF sent me to, some CLEP and Dantes tests, and Graduate Record Exams.

No subjective "life experience" assessments or transfer credits from the College of Hard-Knocks though.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47435 of 58868
Subject: Re: College Degree, No Class Time Required Date: 1/25/2013 10:01 AM
Recommendations: 4
"No subjective "life experience" assessments or transfer credits from the College of Hard-Knocks though." - FCorelli

The truth is that there are a lot of things in life that can only be learned by doing. Stuff you can't get out of a book or even watching a video of someone else doing it. For instance you can't learn to drive a car just by reading manual about how to drive a car. Or riding a bike. The only way to learn to ride a bike is by actually getting on the bike and riding it. I'm sure flying a plane is the same way.

I got a degree in Animal Science from the University of Georgia back in 1976 but I learned a whole lot more about animals and how to take care of them by working at the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine for 17 years. Working with animals is another "hands on" kind of learning that can't be gained just by reading a book about it.

Doing surgery, plumbing, welding, cutting meat, working on cars, etc. The list is probably almost endless about stuff that can only be learned by actually doing. Some things just can't be learned by reading a book about it.

Art

Author: crackdclaw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47439 of 58868
Subject: Re: College Degree, No Class Time Required Date: 1/25/2013 4:19 PM
Recommendations: 1
Doing surgery, plumbing, welding, cutting meat, working on cars, etc. The list is probably almost endless about stuff that can only be learned by actually doing. Some things just can't be learned by reading a book about it.

Could not agree more, Art, well said.

A few years back I become engrossed with a style of poker I had never played in my youth, Texas Hold'Em. While I had success in the past with five card draw poker and blackjack, I had never played Hold'Em. Must have read about 10 books on the topic and various stragies. Even read message boards where players posted. I'm also comfortable with numbers, odds, and wagering. Yet when I sat down for my first game of hold'em, g'awd did I suck.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47441 of 58868
Subject: Re: College Degree, No Class Time Required Date: 1/25/2013 4:39 PM
Recommendations: 1
In a few years I expect liberals to have colleges and univerisities issueing degrees that are just as worthless as the high school diplomas they have already debased to the point of worthlessness.

On the way to that we'll have college degrees issued like GED diplomas.

We all need to be equal...

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement