Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: chazzerei Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: college loan Date: 6/5/2003 12:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi! This is my 1st posting on this site! I have 2 teenagers going to college this year. My son is a sophomore at a private university. My daughter will be a freshman at a state university. Our daughter has available funds to cover 2.5 years for college. Our son who is going to a private college will need funds for the remaining 3 years. The school offers a Tuition Stablization Program in which the tuition is locked into this year's rates if we prepay for the remaining years. That means we save on any possible tuition increases for his junior and senior year. Whatever is prepaid is fully refundable if he opts to go to another school before graduating. My question: This would be a 90k investment for education payable this year. We will have 30K balance due for our daughter's school 2 1/2 years down the road. Should we look into a loan for our son through a bank or offer a personal loan from our nonretirement funds charging a nominal interest? The loan would begin payments 1 year after graduating from the university and would be fully paid in 10 years. These funds would not come from our retirement funds. Would the parents be able to take a deduction against their AGI for taxes in 2003? Would our son be able to deduct the interest paid if the loan came from the parent's funds? Also by using 90K in funds in 2003, do you believe this would help us for future grants, scholarships or subsidized loans.. beth
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement