Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a group of college loans that were taken out as parent plus loans for my daughter. When I get the monthly statement is list about 6 different loans with different balances, most with the same interest rate (7.5). I pay a single month payment that gets distributed among the 6 balances.

I called who I have the loan through (College foundation) to try to get a determination of how long it would actually take me to pay this off and they couldn't give me a date. I think it is too complicated for them to figure out since each loan is different and the single payment is divied up between them.

The loan balance is about 23800 and I'm paying 600/mo.

I'm trying to determine if I would be better off doing a refi at sofi.com. They are offering a 5 year loan at 4.9%, $3800 loan fee. It drops my payment to about $450/mo.

I can't tell if I would pay it off earlier with the original loan or with the refi. I'm hoping to reduce my monthly payment but not if it costs me a lot more through loan fees.

Thanks
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement