UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61399  
Subject: College Swimming Tests Date: 11/29/2012 3:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
WSJ had an article today about the declining number of schools that still require you to prove you can swim before graduation.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732435200457813...

I particularly liked Georgia Tech's requirements.

Until 1988, Ga Tech required a course in "drownproofing" for graduation. Among other things, it required swimming a number of activities (e.g. forward and back summersaults) including 40ft underwater with feet tied to your stomach, and the same with hands tied behind your back. A lesser set of activities was required with both hands tied behind your back and feet tied together. Jumping in the pool from the high dive fully clothed (including jeans and tennis shoes) and swimming for an hour was another requirement. You had to swim a full 100 yds underwater to get an A in the course, but you got full credit if you passed out trying, and some did. It included an number of small activities such as diving off the board backward or swimming to the bottom of the pool and reading a word written on the bottom by blowing air into your hand above your eyes.

</snip>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46424 of 61399
Subject: Re: College Swimming Tests Date: 11/29/2012 9:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"WSJ had an article today about the declining number of schools that still require you to prove you can swim before graduation." - WSJ

I love to swim. Univ. of Georgia had a 6 quarter hour Physical Education requirement when I went there and I took as many of them as I could in the swimming pool.

Lindytoes teaches water aerobics at the YWCO in Athens, GA. When we went to Orlando, Florida, tagging along with my wife when she had a meeting there, Lindytoes and I spent a large part of our little mini-vacation in the pool. The Grand Lakes Marriott in Orlando, Florida has a 1/2 mile swimming pool that is shaped like a river with three side pools, heated and complete with current - jets that move the water around the "river." It is uber-fun. It also has two hot tubs which I made ample use of.

When I was in high school I spent a good bit of my time swimming, diving, and spearfishing. It's all I pretty much thought about. I had spearfishing on the brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBmNq6O3b50

Art

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46426 of 61399
Subject: Re: College Swimming Tests Date: 11/29/2012 10:22 AM
Recommendations: 0
Interesting. I didn't know any schools had a swimming requirement for graduation except maybe Annapolis.

So, over the years they've all done away with the second language requirement but kept the swimming requirement?

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46428 of 61399
Subject: Re: College Swimming Tests Date: 11/29/2012 1:14 PM
I took drownproofing at the University of Georgia in about 1973. I don't remember it being that difficult. Must be those engineers require stricter standards.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46430 of 61399
Subject: Re: College Swimming Tests Date: 11/29/2012 1:24 PM
I'm a 1969 graduate from University Missouri at Rolla, now Missouri Science & Technology (MS&T). In 1964 as a freshman we had to swim the length of the pool. Its an engineering school. Their justification was that many engineers work near water. Being able to swim can save your life.

There is a racial aspect to this. Because of segregation in days gone by, many minorities do not learn to swim. They were not welcome in many pools. That is changing.

It is sad when people who fall in the water panic and drown. Learning to swim saves lives.

I presume that those who flunk the test had to take swimming lessons to at least learn to dog paddle, float, or tread water.

I think this training is well worth the cost.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46431 of 61399
Subject: Re: College Swimming Tests Date: 11/29/2012 1:29 PM
"I took drownproofing at the University of Georgia in about 1973. I don't remember it being that difficult. Must be those engineers require stricter standards." - lindytoes

When I took scuba diving in High School, George Krassle, the instructor had us breath through a broken hose. He'd swim up behind you and cut your air hose in two and then you had to grab the broken end of the hose and breath the stream of bubbles pouring out the other end. George was hard core!

By the way I just looked up Aquanaut Diving and Engineering Company in Atlanta, Georgia and they are still in business! I wonder if old George is still alive? I was seventeen years old when I took that course so it was like 43 years ago? I'm guessing George would be close to 80 years old now? He was quite the character. Former Navy Diver.

Art

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46433 of 61399
Subject: Re: College Swimming Tests Date: 11/29/2012 2:13 PM
lindytoes writes,

I took drownproofing at the University of Georgia in about 1973. I don't remember it being that difficult. Must be those engineers require stricter standards.

If you read the article, it says at Columbia Univ. in New York they exempted the engineers from the drownproofing requirement because they were smart enough to build a boat.

At RPI in the mid-seventies where my brother went to college they tossed everyone in the pool on the first day of school. If you couldn't swim you had to take lessons. It was probably the same when tele was at RPI in the sixties.

intercst

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46441 of 61399
Subject: Re: College Swimming Tests Date: 11/29/2012 9:49 PM
pauleckler writes,

I'm a 1969 graduate from University Missouri at Rolla, now Missouri Science & Technology (MS&T). In 1964 as a freshman we had to swim the length of the pool. Its an engineering school. Their justification was that many engineers work near water. Being able to swim can save your life.

There is a racial aspect to this. Because of segregation in days gone by, many minorities do not learn to swim. They were not welcome in many pools. That is changing.

It is sad when people who fall in the water panic and drown. Learning to swim saves lives.

I presume that those who flunk the test had to take swimming lessons to at least learn to dog paddle, float, or tread water.

I think this training is well worth the cost.

</snip>

I agree.

If you read the comments to that WSJ article, there's one from a New Zealand guy saying that everyone learns to swim in New Zealand. They even toss the disabled kids in the pool and let the able-bodied kids practice saving them.

intercst

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement