UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AbhayShah One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308854  
Subject: College/Credit Cards Date: 5/18/1998 9:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Weighing in to this topic. I've truly enjoyed all the posts regarding aggessive marketing toward college students. It should be regarded as a victory to most of us that credit card companies are trying to look for additional sources of income.

It's rather obvious that credit card companies are in the business of making money. I don't need to explain how they make money, as some of you here can write novels on that topic. Well, it seems as though these sources of income are dwindling, and they are seeking additional souces. So they take on some risk when they issue credit to people without jobs. I think somewhere in the upper realms of credit card management there are people who said if they issued 100 cards and if 20 defaulted, they're in good business.

Now thats my credit card company view of this. Now, I take a look at it from the students point of view. (I'm a student, but graduating in a few weeks!!). Every move I make there are credit card companies pushing their cards. When I buy books there are flyers in my books with the slogans "You earned it" blah blah blah... When I purchase the books and have them put in a plastic bag...same slogans "You deserve it". In every classroom, there are at LEAST 3 credit card flyers on the coat hangers. In the hallways, same deal. Go out to the plaza, now it gets a little lucrative. There are people who are offering credit cards with FREE T-SHIRTS, and CANDY, and FREE 10 MINUTE CALLING CARDS....(ooohhh...ahhhh). (Funny this is these shirts, as attractive as they may be, have the credit card logo buried in there somewhere, further promoting the card).

I'm sure the school is somewhere getting a cut from the credit cards. The bookstore I mentioned was on campus, and when I asked not to have a bag, they insisted that I take one. Some of the credit card companies who have reps on campus are sometimes IN the classroom building (but not in the classrooms). I'm sure there had to be some sort of administrative approval for this to happen. I'd like to ask the school how much they're getting from these companies, but there isn't anything in it for me since I'm graduating.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement