UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60004  
Subject: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 1:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732444230457823...

The demand for four-year college degrees is softening, the result of a perfect storm of economic and demographic forces that is sapping pricing power at a growing number of U.S. colleges and universities, according to a new survey by Moody's Investors Service.

</snip>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47251 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 10:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Good -

College costs are a bigger bubble than medical costs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-charts-outline-how-infl...

V

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47252 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 2:48 PM
The studies showing the value of a college degree consistently compare graduates to those who don't. A more interesting comparison, in my opinion, would be too look at several groups:

Advanced college degrees
4-year degree (BS, BA,...)
2-year associate degree
Technical/trade degree (electrician, inhalation therapist, HVAC, etc.)
High school only
GED
Some high school, but no degree

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47253 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 4:14 PM
I let my employer pay for my graduate degree..

finished it in 2 1/2 years...going after work year round taking two courses a semester...

then took another six courses....

and my employer paid for all of them....18 courses at an average of $1000 each..and that was 25 years ago.

they were happy. I was happy.

OF course, I started on degree 20 years after I got my first degree......took a while, but I had a few courses paid for by company along the way..probably 10 course over 10 years. Never felt inspired or found the right program till found the GWU program in EE.

I did have about $200-300 a semester in books to buy....and I upgraded my home PC...at that time....

Best way is to get your degree, then let your employer to pay for advanced degrees.

One guy in our department went all the way to DrScience (PhD in computer science)....

I guess now it is triple that to do it.

t

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47255 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 6:27 PM
Recommendations: 1
I let my employer pay for my graduate degree..

That was then. This is now.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47258 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 7:45 PM
Recommendations: 2
When I look back over my life and measure the happiest time of my life were those years I spent at the University of Georgia. It was a time for me to grow up and be around college professors, work in laboratories and learn about animals and meats, and be around relatively smart people who had a thirst for knowledge. It was a safe, stable, and functional place for me to be. I needed that. It was a good place for me to be. I learned a lot of stuff that I wouldn't have other wised learned.

Art

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47259 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 8:36 PM
t"I let my employer pay for my graduate degree..

alstro says:"That was then. This is now"

---

I just checked with my former employer...well, it was MCI....which got gobbled up by WCOM...which was bought for pennies on the dollar after I bailed out early.....by Verizon

Here's the FACTS, ma'am

"Verizon Wireless knows it is getting its money’s worth when it comes to tuition reimbursements.

The telecommunications giant based in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, has measured the business impact of tuition assistance on a quarterly basis for nearly six years. The company compares retention rates of employees who participate in a tuition-assistance program against other groups of workers.

“We have reduced our turnover to the extent that the savings we realize pays for the expense” of paying for tuition, program manager Dorothy Martin says. Martin declines to specify exact savings, but says the training benefit is popular with the company’s 82,000 workers. Each year, roughly 20 percent take advantage of the program, dubbed LearningLink, to pursue college degrees, industry certifications and other career-related courses.

Full-time employees at Verizon Wireless are eligible to receive up to $8,000 annually for tuition and textbooks. Part-time employees working at least 20 hours a week qualify for up to $4,000 a year. The tuition funds are available to employees either as a prepaid or reimbursement option."

http://www.workforce.com/article/20101025/NEWS02/310259995/v...

----

Yepper.... 3 years and they pay for $24,000 of your tuition..and if you're going part time, like I was...no big deal.

Of course, with universities bloated with 50% more 'diversity coordinators and administrators, and assistants to the assistants to the assistants....it cost more per credit hour.....

then again, back then I could get about $6000/yr from my employer....and did........and if you are in management, you might get
more....depends....

I'm sure other large companies have tuition re-imbursement plans. heck, I think even the gov't did!

t.

t.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47260 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 11:08 PM
Art,

I totally agree with you that my time in college was one of the best times of my life - although I'd opt for Champaign-Urbana<g>.

PM

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47261 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 11:11 PM
That kind of depends upon the field of study. #1 son is in Colorado this weekend interviewing for a possible CS job. He graduates w/ an MS in May.

If he'd opted for Art History it'd be another story<G>.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47262 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 11:12 PM
"Art, I totally agree with you that my time in college was one of the best times of my life - although I'd opt for Champaign-Urbana<g>." PM

Those were great times. Lots of fun. My wife and I paid all our way through school. We just stopped when we ran out of money and worked a quarter or two till we saved up money to go back. We also worked part time while in school. My wife got some scholarships because she is really smart. We both graduated with no debt.

You learn things besides just being in class. You are around a lot of smart people. It was a great time to grow up. We lived in an old house and had a lot of friends, and I wouldn't trade that time for anything in the world.

Art

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47264 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/10/2013 11:18 PM
My wife and I paid all our way through school.

Likewise. I put myself through school w/ a part-time job. That was a very useful part of the experience. 'Course, that was in the mid-60's when tuition was a lot cheaper because of state subsidies.

PM

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47267 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/11/2013 1:04 AM
PolymerMom writes,

Likewise. I put myself through school w/ a part-time job. That was a very useful part of the experience. 'Course, that was in the mid-60's when tuition was a lot cheaper because of state subsidies.

The engineering school I went to (WPI) now costs over $55,000/year. You couldn't work your way through school if you had a job that paid the same as a new graduate's starting salary.

intercst

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47272 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/11/2013 11:47 AM
PM:"Likewise. I put myself through school w/ a part-time job. That was a very useful part of the experience. 'Course, that was in the mid-60's when tuition was a lot cheaper because of state subsidies"

And there weren't several hundred conflicting 'mandates' from fed and state regulators, not to mention dozens of fed agencies, which required them to hire 250% more administrators and data collectors on subjects such as:'

1) diversity plans and diversity goals in recruitment of students, per subject area, per year.....and implementation plans to achieve 'greater diversity'.

2) Programs for 'more inclusive' gender equality in all areas of academia, from hiring quotas of professors, assistant professors, staff, secretarial, workmen/workwomen, tutors, and admnistrators, with year by year filings with six different agencies on achieving 'goals' (quotas) set up by 24 different departments of six different state , local and federal agencies.

3) Annual reporting of allotment of scholarship dollars based upon 27 artibtrary and constantly changing 'criteria' from six different agencies and yearly plans to achieve 'parity' between all income strata of the entering classes in each of the 52 different majors outlined in the 450 page annex to federal mandate document XYZ-23569, para 732, subsection 44.2, paragraphs 2-873.

4) Programs for improving the 'green-ness' of all academic facilities from dormitories to classrooms to office/research buildings, on a per building basis, with comprehensive goals to meet Federal guidelines contained in the 2105 page 'Improving Energy Efficiency in Higher Education'....... and yearly reports on the status of all upgrades to meet federal targets (quotas). (275 pages plus annexes, of which none are even looked at by the feds, but a mandatory loss of federal scholarship dollars if not done)

Oh, and of course, there are $100,000 penalties per offense, and other legally binding horesmanure..and we haven't gotten to the other areas of campus life, such as programs for 'self actualization', making sure 'no one fails' and 'everyone gets a trophy' and 'grade inflation' ....... recruitment in 'poor' minority areas........ tracking each 'minority' and 'ethnicity' and 'religion' ..... oh, did I forget the university plan for religious diversity of all faiths? etc etc etc....

We need to chop the bloat in the admin staff by getting it back to the 15% it was back in the 60s.....that alone could save tens of billions of dollars of tuition.

Plus, of course, gut all the agencies and people requiring all the filings. Probably nearly 100,000 of them.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47273 of 60004
Subject: Re: Colleges Lose Pricing Power Date: 1/11/2013 11:49 AM
heck, when I was working in the 1980s, my company had a joint co-op program with several universities..they'd take a semester off, work in industry and get a decent salary (probably twice min wage or more).....and be able to pay a good chunk of their next semester tuition and fees.

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement