Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Combining Roth IRAs Date: 10/8/2000 9:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
May I combine 2 Roths into 1 Roth IRA?

That is, may I combine my Roth IRA I started when the Roth IRA came into existing almost 3 years ago and a second Roth that was created last year by converting a Traditional IRA to a Roth?

If yes, when does the 5 year clock start ticking for this combined Roth IRA?

Thanks to all who respond.

TB

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40699 of 121114
Subject: Re: Combining Roth IRAs Date: 10/8/2000 11:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
That is, may I combine my Roth IRA I started when the Roth IRA came into existing almost 3 years ago and a second Roth that was created last year by converting a Traditional IRA to a Roth?

Yes. Contact the custodian of the Roth IRA where you want the money to be, and tell them that you wish to have funds transferred from the other Roth IRA account to it. They should send you the paperwork to request the transfer from the custodian you are leaving.

As long as this is a custodian-to-custodian transfer, there should be no tax nor penalty. However, there might be exit fees or transaction costs with the custodian you are leaving or the investments that custodian is holding for you.

Keep in mind that you can combine only Roth IRAs that are FBO your name; you cannot, for example, combine your Roth IRA with your wife's Roth IRA.

If yes, when does the 5 year clock start ticking for this combined Roth IRA?

My understanding is that the 5-year clock starts with the oldest clock and applies to all Roth IRA accounts with the same For Benefit Of designation, whether the accounts have been combined or kept separate. (This is where it may be handy to save the paperwork of the original contribution or the original conversion.) If I am wrong, hopefully someone will correct this misunderstanding.

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40926 of 121114
Subject: Re: Combining Roth IRAs Date: 10/17/2000 8:54 PM
paraphasing " When will the 5 year clock start ticking for a combined IRA with different start dates?"

Mark0Yong,

Your reply My understanding is that the 5-year clock starts with the oldest clock and applies to all Roth IRA accounts with the same For Benefit Of designation, whether the accounts have been combined or kept separate...

Our company's CPA agrees with your response. He forward me his reasoning taken from "U.S. Master Tax Guide", page 2180. I quote "Each Roth IRA owner has only one five-year period for all of the Roth IRAs that the individual owns."

Thanks,

TB

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement