Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MotleyDell Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124160  
Subject: Combining Types of Short Term Gains Date: 10/10/2000 8:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Question 1:

In 2000 I sold my home for a short term gain (I owned the house for only a few months). I also have a short term gain from the sale of stocks. (Lucky man)

For the purpose of computing total short term capital gains, is the Short Term Gain (from the sale of the house) added to the short term gain derived from the sale of stocks?

Question 2:

Assuming that the answer to #1 is "yes", can I then follow the "normal" (this is all somewhat new to me, so nothing is really normal) process whereby I sell some "losers" so that my short term losses will then equal my short term gains? (Putting aside for the moment the question of whether or not this makes sense from a purely investing standpoint).

Thanks in advance for any input.


Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Oil and Gas
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.