UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59647  
Subject: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 12/31/2012 2:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/31/comet-coming-in-201...

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47154 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 12/31/2012 3:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I came across that a few weeks back and was a little puzzled that it wasn't getting more buzz. It sounded like a "Thing of the Century", "Once in a lifetime" event.

Then I remembered the last one we had. I was in hy skool: Can you say "Kohoutek"? (Even if you might not be able to spell it.)

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47155 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 12/31/2012 3:39 PM
I'm seem to remember that Kohoutek wasn't as bright as predicted, so few people saw it..

Comet Hale-Boop (which was visible in 1996-1997) was much more spectacular. You could even see it through the smog of Houston's skies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Hale%E2%80%93Bopp

Some cult in San Diego committed mass suicide as the comet passed, believing that they were going to become passengers in a space ship trailing the tail of the comet.

intercst

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47159 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 12/31/2012 5:03 PM
Then I remembered the last one we had. I was in hy skool: Can you say "Kohoutek"? (Even if you might not be able to spell it.)

Oh, yeah. I was in college (you young pup!). I was out by a field with my boyfriend and we had the darndest time finding it. We finally realized it was really faint and taking up a big chunk of the sky. I instinctively started walking towards it to see it better!

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47161 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 12/31/2012 5:30 PM
I remember Hale-Bopp but the only thing I remember about it was the cult people who castrated themselves then committed suicide. I was in a hotel in Ogden Utah and they broke in with the story just as I was going to bed. So I stayed up most of the night watching it then drove all the way to Omaha the next day in the same car I still Drive I don't remember any visible comets.

I'm seem to remember that Kohoutek wasn't as bright as predicted, so few people saw it..

Comet Hale-Boop (which was visible in 1996-1997) was much more spectacular. You could even see it through the smog of Houston's skies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Hale%E2%80%93Bopp

Some cult in San Diego committed mass suicide as the comet passed, believing that they were going to become passengers in a space ship trailing the tail of the comet.

intercst

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47162 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 12/31/2012 5:33 PM
I instinctively started walking towards it to see it better!

You know what I don't understand? How come I need glasses to see stuff that's feet or yards away but I can look up and see the moon that's 250,000 miles away? Or stars that are light years away?

Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47166 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 1/1/2013 12:33 AM
Recommendations: 1
In March of '97 my wife and I were hiking out in southern Utah. We were able to observe a lunar eclipse in one part of the sky and Hale-Bopp about 150° away. It was a spectacular space show in one of the darkest patches of the USA.

The next day my wife broke her leg in a canyon 3 miles from the trailhead.

It was a memorable vacation.
PF

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47167 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 1/1/2013 9:20 AM
"The next day my wife broke her leg in a canyon 3 miles from the trailhead. It was a memorable vacation." - PF

Holy cow I would have been scared shitless! Seriously, I think I would have started crying. That's why I don't go hiking anymore. My sense of invincibility has left me. I know I'm fragile and have been hurt too many times to just take off and go hiking in the mountains for miles anymore. Who the heck is going to want to haul my carcass out of the wilderness? They'd have to get a big helicopter to lift me out and then they'd send me a bill for thousands of dollars. I'd go bankrupt.

Art

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47170 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 1/1/2013 10:46 AM
In March of '97 my wife and I were hiking out in southern Utah. We were able to observe a lunar eclipse in one part of the sky and Hale-Bopp about 150° away. It was a spectacular space show in one of the darkest patches of the USA.

If you were a king back in the way olden daze, I hope your court seers would've advised getting out of the canyon after such a stupendous sign of impending doom!

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47171 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 1/1/2013 12:49 PM
Hale Bopp was pretty spectacualar

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070331.html

V

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47172 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 1/1/2013 12:52 PM
And then there was this one. I saw it driving across Nevada at sunset in January

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap091206.html

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47173 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 1/1/2013 5:33 PM
I remember Hale-Bopp and loved it - the spot where it was in the sky made it look like it was going to crash right on the roof of my house.

Cindy

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47176 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 1/2/2013 3:02 AM

I went on a camping trip to southern Utah in spring of 97, I don't recall what month. Could have been March. Hale-Bopp and the night sky were pretty awesome.

No one broke their leg that I recall that trip.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47177 of 59647
Subject: Re: Comet coming in 2013 Date: 1/2/2013 3:26 AM
I have a poster tucked away somewhere of a lighthouse (in MA, I believe), with Hale-Bopp in the background. May just have to break that out...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement