No. of Recommendations: 10
Back when I was teaching third grade in a not too great neighborhood, I had a bunch of kids with subpar reading skills. They didn't want to read, they had never been exposed to anyone who read, no one had bothered to read to them, as far as they knew reading was boring. Just to get them to read, I brought in a stack of second hand comic books, Archies and Batmans and Supermans and Hulks, stuff they'd like to read (no X-Men, though, couldn't get them at a decent price and it was coming out of my pocket). At first the kids thought I had cracked. Comic books? You've got to be kidding! But they liked it. At first they were just looking at the pictures (these are eight-year-olds, keep in mind), then they started reading the stories. Every now and then they'd come to a word they could not understand, "luminous" and "metamorphosis" and "ecstatic," so I taught them to use the dictionary. From comic books they graduated to very young readers, from very young readers to just young readers. By the end of the year most of the children, several of whom were functionally illiterate when they got into my class, were at grade level.

I am all for anything that encourages reading, and that includes Harry Potter.

Uhura :o)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement