Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: onyxina Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121482  
Subject: commercial real estate: "earnest money" Date: 3/19/2000 1:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am a partner in a newly formed commercial real estate partnership (very small business). Can anyone tell me if the "earnest money" deposit for a commercial real estate purchase is a deductible expense ? I am preparing a partnership Form 1065 for 1999 and this is a sticking point. Thank you.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: hghcpa Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32108 of 121482
Subject: Re: commercial real estate: "earnest money& Date: 3/19/2000 8:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am a partner in a newly formed commercial real estate partnership (very small business). Can anyone tell me if the "earnest money" deposit for a commercial real estate purchase is a deductible expense ? I am preparing a partnership Form 1065 for 1999 and this is a sticking point. Thank you.
===========

No - it would be listed as a "other asset" on the balance sheet of the Pship.

If the sale is consummated the deposit would roll into the cost basis of the property purchased.

Pete

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement