UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: gapfan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Common Stocks Date: 9/23/1998 6:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just want to toss in the idea that if you have a bit of money that you don't "need" in retirement AND want to have a little more interest in the market, consider adding a couple common stocks to your portfolio. If any of you have read some of my posts on the Gap, Inc. board (GPS), you will learn why I use the name I do and a bit of why I have been retired for so long.

I invested in common stocks for a long time, starting with my first share from General Electric in about '60. My "best" investment is Gap, Inc. $10 invested in GPS in 1980 is now worth $7200, an annual rate of return of about 43% per year. Maytag is another of my favorates. Tax consequences can be minimal on a "buy and hold" strategy. Things like that will never occur with mutual funds.

Seems like there are lots of sites for information, and I particularily like the Fools' learning tools. I never did participate in IRA, 401K or similar tax deferred techniques except stocks (which I considered so much more flexible.)

I don't think Gap will continue its past growth rate, but I do think it will continue to be outstanding. Just an idea for adding a bit more "spice to your life" if this sort of thing turns you on.

Good Luck to all!!!

gapfan

Print the post Back To Top
Author: slwjpw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5588 of 76237
Subject: Re: Common Stocks Date: 9/23/1998 10:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I prefer the Buy & Hold strategies myself.

Good Luck to y'all

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement