Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mccray44 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25265  
Subject: Company matching funds Date: 4/26/2000 5:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Do you think it is "wise" to invest over the amount that your company matches or should you just invest up to the amount they match,for instance if they match up to 5% should I continue to contribute 10%?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: W401K Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7531 of 25265
Subject: Re: Company matching funds Date: 4/26/2000 8:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Definitely contribute what the company will match. Anything else you can contribute will be a bonus. It will generate a much larger nest egg at retirement, it will also lower your taxable income for the current year.
You may also want to consider putting $2,000 into a ROTH IRA after you have contributed up to the company match limit.
Its really a comfort decision on your part. How much can you afford to save each pay period. Keep in mind other goals you may have as well. (college, home purchase, vacation, etc)

Bill

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement