Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm going to receive company stock options in my new job with the lower of the price on my start date and 1 year later (minus 15%). Lets assume that on year later I'm going to buy the stocks. If I'm going to sell the stock within 1 year of my purchase date, do I need to pay short term capital gain tax? Or does my start date of employment count as the counter for the short/long term capital gain? Or do I need to income tax on the entire amount?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.