Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dawnc Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86529  
Subject: Compaq Warrenty Service Date: 2/22/1999 12:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
OK, time for a rant ....

I've been having "Disk Controller Errors" that have completely locked up my computer. My computer is about 4 months old. So, we called Compac.

First the tech wants to blame software. OK, standard argument. He even suggests that I remove all software that I have installed since I received the computer and see if I still have problems. I told him a firm NO.

Then the tech asks me to take the computer apart and reset the CMOS. Sure, we could problably do that, but I don't want to. I asked him that if he had a car under warrenty that was giving him problems, would he check and reset the spark plugs himself or would he make the dealer do it. He then suggested that since I was not willing to take the computer apart that I take it in for for service.

Ummm... sir, I have on-site service. That means that you are to send someone out. He tried to tell me that he could not authorize for a tech to come out until I knew exactly what the problem was. My response, "Then let me talk to your boss or someone higher that can authorize it."

Hold for 20 more minutes ......

Tech comes back. He says that he is going to send someone out to swap out the hard drive. I told him the hard drive is fine. We managed to get it up long enough to do a check disk and scan disk. He doesn't care, they want to swap out the hard drive. OK, no since argueing with him.

I then ask him if they will reinstall Win95 for me. "No, we don't do that." So how will they know if the hard disk is the problem? They will run diagnostics on it. "WE"VE already done that with the hard disk that we have." "Ummm, I understand that, but this is how we are going to do it."

Needless to say, we were on the phone with these people a total of about 3 hours yesterday. The tech will be out Wednesday to swap out the hard drive. I made it clear to him that the old hard drive was not to leave my house until the new one was performing perfectly.

Round 2 starts on Wednesday.

Dawn

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement