UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 459855  
Subject: Comparing hospital outcomes Date: 1/7/2009 1:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 158
All METARs are keenly interested in risks and outcomes.

This is especially true when your life is at stake.

http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-docum......

Should Informed Consent for Cancer Treatment Include a Discussion about Hospital Outcome Disparities?

Nadine Housri, Robert J. Weil, David I. Shalowitz, Leonidas G. Koniaris

Background to the debate: Several studies have found disparities in the outcome of medical procedures across different hospitals — better outcomes have been associated with higher procedure volume. ...

[Many] studies have found an association between improved outcome and high hospital procedure volume or teaching hospital status...
[end quote]

The U.S. government has provided a web site where hospital outcomes are compared. This excellent web site allows you to search for hospitals, and compare hospital ratings for important measures of care (e.g. whether antibiotics and pain control are administered at the right time)...and also compare prices for the same type of operation.

http://www.hospitalcompare.hhs.gov/Hospital/

This has personal significance for me.

About a month ago, an ultrasound detected a solid ovarian tumor. It is unclear yet whether it is malignant or benign. Biopsy is necessary.

My small-town gynecologist offered to biopsy the ovary in our remote area's small hospital, and send me to an oncologist if it is malignant.

METARs probably know me well enough by now to know that the suspicion of ovarian cancer set me off on a major literature search. That's why I haven't been as active on the board lately.

The National Library of Medicine contains several reports that ovarian biopsy can actually spread cancer rapidly around the abdominal cavity (fatal), if biopsy of the malignant ovary is done by a general surgeon at a local hospital, rather than an experienced oncological surgeon, who can properly encapsulate the ovary during removal, stage the cancer and remove affected lymph nodes and metastases at the same time as the biopsy.

One study found the survival rate advantage was 25% (at 5 years) between women whose malignant ovaries were biopsied at a regional cancer center versus at a local, non-specialty hospital.

I feel that it was unethical and irresponsible for the local gynecologist to offer to biopsy my ovary.

With my life at stake, I said, "Do not pass GO, do not collect $200 -- go directly to the best gynecological oncologist in my state."

I am going to a gynecological oncologist with 20 years of experience, at a cancer specialty practice which is about 3 hours away from home. The Hospital Compare website rates the hospital favorably on important patient care factors, compared with other hospitals in the Seattle area.

I will be having a major operation next week. Given the variables, the probability of my condition being benign is about 33%. If it is ovarian cancer ... well ... the bright side is that it was probably caught relatively early.

I want to give sincere and heartfelt thanks to Doctor Optimist, who has been a tremendous help to me, privately giving me advice and helping me to interpret the information.

For obvious reasons, I will be away from METAR for a while. I hope and trust that the many fine participants on METAR will maintain this board as the information-rich, politics-free zone that makes this the most popular investing-oriented board on TMF.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year,

Wendy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement