Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: nondogmatic One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 207  
Subject: comparing the big dogs SSYS and DDD Date: 7/3/2012 10:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Hi Everyone,

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. But I recently became a member of SA (when Global Gains closed, I ended up with SA instead). And SA is big into DDD instead of SSYS. I'm hoping to compare and contrast these two publicly held big dogs in the sector. Not just in terms of their general focuses, but also management, style, and competitive advantages.

I'm no expert in this field compared to others on this board. My initial hypothesis is that DDD is a bit better positioned than SSYS. But I'm posting here because there may be people who can either a) poke holes in my reasoning and help me see the light that SSYS is a better bet, or b) convince me both companies are equally well positioned and so I should consider investing half in one and half in the other. OK, so here goes my super-preliminary initial hypothesis:

Given its focus on certain vertical industries and design solutions, DDD is the better choice long term. SSYS seems to be stuck on the analogy to the 2D printer industry, and wants to make its money selling "ink and cartidges." While that approach may have worked for HP, I'm not sure the analogy will stand the test of time in this space. In my opinion, a verticals/solutions approach in the technology space creates much greater customer loyalty and a wider moat. At least that's been my experience from certain successful tech companies I've owned in the GPS space (especially Trimble) and elsewhere in restaurant/hospitality point-of-sale solutions (MICROS Systems).

Admittedly, I'd still love to be able to compare and contrast the management, style, IP portfolio (moat) and other factors (something I don't have the expertise to do). And of course, I'm saying all this without making any references to the stock valuations. Just looking at the businesses.

Since I'm just throwing out a hypothesis, I'm sure there's plenty that I've missed (or misunderstood). Thoughts anyone? (Just be gentle, as I'm already admitting my lack of expertise.)

Cheers,
J
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement