No. of Recommendations: 0

Anyone can file a complaint.

get it on record,

At best, a record no one will ever look at.

potentially get some or all that money back?

Probably not. Certainly not the losses due to market changes. At best, it would be the direct fees you paid. Which does not include any sales commissions you indirectly paid when purchasing the mutual funds. Those were almost certainly disclosed to you before you purchased the funds.

Go to Small Claims?

If you've got the spare time and filing fees. Still probably no money to you, though.

Brokers and registered representatives are very highly regulated in this country. Virtually all of them follow the letter of the law, allowing them to nickel and dime (and ten and twenty and hundred!!) your account to death quite legally.

If you really want to pursue this, you need to read all of the paperwork you more than likely glanced over when opening this account and identify the specific provision that was violated. Then you can present your complaint or case with the best possible chance of some recovery.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.