Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 166  
Subject: Complaint to postal service Date: 12/18/2007 8:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Sent via their website. I'm not holding my breath waiting for a reply.

Recently we received PS Form 3849 ("Sorry We Missed You!") in our mail.

According to your own website, such a form should only be used "When no one is available to receive a delivery."

Well, someone was available to receive this delivery. My wife was home; she heard and saw the letter carrier through our window. But my wife didn't go out because the letter carrier didn't ring the bell or knock. No attempt of any kind was made to see if someone was home. Only a few minutes later, when she went out to check the mail, did she discover that form.

In retrospect, the wording on that form seems dishonest -- if you were truly sorry about missing us, you would have rung the bell, right?

This is not the first time this has happened. Many times in the past we've received those notes, even on days when someone was at home and available to receive a delivery all day. (We have infant triplets, so my wife is usually home all day, every day.)

Do you have any policies or procedures regarding delivery attempts?

Shouldn't the carrier at least ring the bell or knock?

Or is it standard procedure to make no attempt at all to see if someone is available to receive a delivery?

I look forward to your reply.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151 of 166
Subject: Re: Complaint to postal service Date: 12/27/2007 4:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
So, have you heard anything from them?

LWW

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153 of 166
Subject: Re: Complaint to postal service Date: 12/28/2007 12:26 AM
Recommendations: 2
I sent my message to them on the 18th. On the 24th, they sent this reply:

Dear STEVEN KLEIN,

Thank you for contacting us about not receiving attempted delivery when the form you received said you should have.

Your letter carrier should have attempted to deliver the item. This would include ringing the bell and knocking before leaving the attempted delivery slip.

I apologize this occurred. This type of conduct is not acceptable under any circumstances. As with any business, much of our public image depends on the manner in which our employees interact with customers.

I will be happy to document this complaint. In order to do this, I need some additional information so this can be sent to the correct office and you can be contacted. Please reply to this email with the following information:

- Your home telephone number
- Your address
- Date of incident
- Time of incident
- Location where this occurred (Post Office™, residence, etc.)
- Whether you would like to receive a call regarding this issue (There is no guarantee that further information can be provided via email.)

To schedule a redelivery, see below:
[stuff about redelivery deleted by SJK]

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service®.

Regards,

Ben W

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 154 of 166
Subject: Re: Complaint to postal service Date: 12/28/2007 11:02 AM
Well, at least they acknowledge that they messed up.

LWW

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158 of 166
Subject: Re: Complaint to postal service Date: 1/1/2008 9:17 PM
Yesterday I got a phone call from the manager of my local post office.

He apologized for the problem, and said he would have a talk with my carrier.

For some reason, I don't find that comforting. I'm wondering how much of my mail will now get "lost."

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159 of 166
Subject: Re: Complaint to postal service Date: 1/2/2008 2:14 PM
<<For some reason, I don't find that comforting. I'm wondering how much of my mail will now get "lost.">>

It all depends on what the manager says to the carrier. With the proper admonishment, the carrier will not retaliate for fear of job loss.

LWW

Author: NWAScaper Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 160 of 166
Subject: Re: Complaint to postal service Date: 1/22/2008 10:35 PM
Hahahahahahaha!

You have no idea how many calls we get from people who "were home" but don't answer the door. Maybe they're in the shower, maybe they are napping, one guy on my route is a pianist and can't always hear the bell over his practicing. I doubt anything was done here.

NWAScaper
mail carrier extraordinaire

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 161 of 166
Subject: Re: Complaint to postal service Date: 1/23/2008 4:34 PM
You have no idea how many calls we get from people who "were home" but don't answer the door.

Perhaps, but in this case my wife actually saw the letter carrier come up to our door, drop off the mail (and note), and then walk away. She was perhaps 10 feet away at the time, and certainly would have heard a knock or the doorbell.

Author: NWAScaper Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 162 of 166
Subject: Re: Complaint to postal service Date: 1/25/2008 5:41 PM
Perhaps, but in this case my wife actually saw the letter carrier come up to our door, drop off the mail (and note), and then walk away. She was perhaps 10 feet away at the time, and certainly would have heard a knock or the doorbell.

Oh, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that so many people have complained when the carrier actually has made the attempt to deliver, that management generally disregards such complaints. Sorry for your problem. We re-deliver for you!

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163 of 166
Subject: Re: Complaint to postal service Date: 1/26/2008 7:11 PM
so many people have complained when the carrier actually has made the attempt to deliver…

Why? What's the benefit to the false complainer?

management generally disregards such complaints

Which sends the message to employees that they can continue this bad practice with impunity.

FWIW, my cousin Bennie (OBM) worked for the USPS most of his adult life, and told me a story about his first day on his own route.

He delivered all his mail, and came back to the post office around 2PM and said, "Okay, now what do you want me to do?"

At the end of the day, the other carriers took him aside and said, "If you finish early, go to the movies, or go home and take a nap, or go to the ball game, but don't you ever come back early again. It's bad for your health" He wasn't foolish enough to ignore that advice.

Those events happened many decades ago, but the message I took away is that even honest postal workers are discouraged from putting in an honest day's work. (And that discouraging takes the form of a very real threat of physical violence.)

Is it your position that this kind of stuff doesn't happen any more?

Author: NWAScaper Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 164 of 166
Subject: Re: Complaint to postal service Date: 1/27/2008 1:02 PM

Why? What's the benefit to the false complainer?

I really have no idea. Some people are just like that. I've had people complain that I didn't stop at their mailbox when they had NO outgoing or incoming mail. They just thought I should stop anyway. I've had people complain that I've pulled their mail when their mailbox has become so full that no other mail would fit. Sometimes people just have a bad day and think they need to take it out on me.

Which sends the message to employees that they can continue this bad practice with impunity.

Yup. Unfortunately, there are bad carriers. But, I think most are good, hardworking folk who want to get you your mail.

Those events happened many decades ago, but the message I took away is that even honest postal workers are discouraged from putting in an honest day's work. (And that discouraging takes the form of a very real threat of physical violence.) Is it your position that this kind of stuff doesn't happen any more?

I dunno, I would hope not. But, I work the rural craft, not city, so we have a completely different way of doing things. We get paid a base salary no matter how long it takes us to deliver the mail. For example, I get paid 8 hours a day, 6 days a week on my route. Whether it takes me 40 hours or 60 hours to deliver the mail, I get paid 48. City carriers, however, have very strict time standards. They must stand in line to clock in at a certain time, take break at a certain time, and have scan points along their route that they must scan in a certain time. If they are early, they are supposed to wait until that time to scan the box. They are severely micromanaged.

I do know that on the rural side, substitute carriers are often chastised for going too fast, because if a route is carried too quickly over the year, it becomes more heavily scrutinized and hours can potentially be lost. It is not that the substitutes or regular carriers are not carrying the mail in the same way, but rather that regular carriers are required to do all the upkeep on a route, which adds to their daily time.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement