UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 311  
Subject: compost, anyone? Date: 1/29/2006 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is anyone here? :) If so, does anyone have any recommendations of places in or near Rhode Island to get good garden compost?

Thanks!

Selena
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 296 of 311
Subject: Re: compost, anyone? Date: 1/29/2006 5:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hi Selena!

Have you checked with any horse farms in the area? They often give the stuff away if you can pick it up.

I have plenty here, but I don't think you'd want to pay the shipping charges :)

Laura

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 297 of 311
Subject: Re: compost, anyone? Date: 1/29/2006 11:00 PM
<<Have you checked with any horse farms in the area? They often give the stuff away if you can pick it up. >>

Hmm... I'll have to see if I can find a horse farm. I wonder what it'll do to my car, though! :) (Thinking heavy-duty tarps...)

Selena

Author: beetlecat77 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298 of 311
Subject: Re: compost, anyone? Date: 2/8/2006 12:19 PM
Hello TMFSelena. I was beginning to wonder if any Fools besides me actually lived in RI. Since compost generally isn't something you travel across many states for, I guess you're here too!

My suggestion would be to contact Farm Fresh Rhode Island ( http://www.farmfreshri.org ) they are an organization promoting locally grown food and have a multitude of member farms.

If you go for horse or cow manure, make sure you get good old rotted manure, otherwise the acid will kill anything you put it on. try to get stuff one to two years old (if you can find older, all the better, it's great stuff to turn into the soil)

Good luck!

Wells

Author: beetlecat77 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302 of 311
Subject: Re: compost, anyone? Date: 8/15/2006 4:51 PM
Hello Selena:

I have to know: did you find that composted manure? Did your veggies go crazy? Did the early rains rot your seeds or the late heat fry your plants? Or did you have so much success that you have bought up every mason jar north of Exeter?

Still enjoying that RI summer......
wells

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 303 of 311
Subject: Re: compost, anyone? Date: 8/16/2006 9:41 PM
<<I have to know: did you find that composted manure? Did your veggies go crazy? Did the early rains rot your seeds or the late heat fry your plants? Or did you have so much success that you have bought up every mason jar north of Exeter?>>

Well, I lost my initiative to hunt hi and low for the best stuff and ended up buying 2 bags of this, 3 bags of that (for a total of about 10 bags) of compost/manure (some or all "organic" -- can't remember, exactly) from the Ann & Hope garden outlet.

Veggie-wise, my artichoke plant is alive but not doing too much. My Brussels sprouts have been half eaten by something, but aren't quite dead yet. My 8-ball zucchini died, but the one I gave my sister is doing well (as are the Brussels sprouts I gave her). My corn also seems okay, but not spectacular.

What was really successful last year were my tomato plants and this year, too, they're excelling. And my flower bed in which I mixed some compost/manure is also full of colorful flowers.

So all in all, it seems to have done some good. :) I enjoyed the rains, as it gave me a respite from watering.

Thanks for asking!

Selena

P.S. No mason jars. I'm not that industrious. Basically I just forage for snacks in the garden while supplies last. :)

Author: beetlecat77 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304 of 311
Subject: Re: compost, anyone? Date: 8/22/2006 8:58 AM
".....P.S. No mason jars. I'm not that industrious. Basically I just forage for snacks in the garden while supplies last. :)...."

My kind of gardener! Back in the 70's I lived in Maine and had a 50 x 100 garden that a neighbor farmer would plow rotted cow manure in as he turned it over in the spring for me (quick work with a tractor!). After that, my gardens became more modest and flowers became more plentiful. Last year we moved into one of the rehabbed mills in Pawtucket and I promptly planted 100+ daffodils and 30+ day lillies... came in beautifully this year. Probably plant more this fall.

All the rain was a godsend for the plantings (mine and the new ones around the building) since this is only the second summer that the trees and shrubs have been in the ground here. Very different from our old home on the East Side!

wells

Author: dond261 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 310 of 311
Subject: Re: compost, anyone? Date: 2/18/2008 7:38 PM
You can always rent a trailer or truck.

Most of the horse farms I know are in Foster or North Smithfield.

Don

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement