UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Computer Etiquette Date: 6/19/1998 5:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As a "newby", could someone pls tell me what computer etiquette is? This is my first chat line, period. I took a look at that board PSUEngineer mentioned, DFXetc....some of those people definitely need to read Ms. Manners, take a Dale Carnegie course, or do a remake of Animal House...

As far as what I've seen on this board, Tony in the French maid's outfit and my psychic skills barter are the wierdest things I have seen.
thanks, meowiz
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pwyles Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2551 of 308881
Subject: Re: Computer Etiquette Date: 6/19/1998 6:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Since a computer screen can't convey tone of voice sometimes a comment can be taken wrong. Comments like "I just received a pre-approved credit card application for a secured account with only 22.5% interest with a $50 annual fee. I think I'll rush right out and apply for two accounts :-) " The "smiley" on the end is trying to show how to take this. If a message has more smilies than text it is annoying, but used sparingly smilies help convey meaning.

TYPEING IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING. Using all caps can give emphasis though for example. The next time I tell you to put a rock under the wheel I mean ROCK.

There are some acronyms that get commonly used I won't even claim to know most of them, but here are a few.

LOL Laughing Out Load
ROFLOL Rolling On the Floor Laughing Out Load
IMHO In My Humble Opinion
IMNSHO In My Not So Humble Opinion
FYI For Your Information

I try not to dash off a heated response without putting thought into the writing. More often than not a quick response with lots of emotion and no thought is a "flame" and the whole message would have been better if left unposted.

~~paul

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2554 of 308881
Subject: Re: Computer Etiquette Date: 6/19/1998 9:20 PM
<<As far as what I've seen on this board, Tony in the French maid's outfit and my psychic skills barter are the wierdest things I have seen. >>

C'mon now, Meowiz....

I don't look that weird. ; )

Heck, I didn't even charge it, LOL!

And by the way, let me just confirm--while you call yourself a "newbie" you should know that you post like a pro, and you're a true delight!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: PSUEngineerFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2556 of 308881
Subject: Re: Computer Etiquette Date: 6/19/1998 10:56 PM
Pwyles did a good job at describing computer etiquette.

IMO, the number 1 thing to remember is that it is okay to disagree with the messege, just don't attack someone personally. If something really bothers you, go ahead and write your response and then hit cancel reply. Then come back after awhile and give a better composed response.

Also don't point out minor problems like mispelled(?) words and incorrect grammar. (I'm an engineer. I'm guily of alot of this.)

Just be nice. : )

Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2558 of 308881
Subject: Re: Computer Etiquette Date: 6/19/1998 11:14 PM

Pwyles and Tony, thanks for your messages. I had wondered if computer etiquette meant, among other things, "if you can't say anything astute on the board topic, don't say anything at all", smile.

So, since it seems ok to be speaking of psychic powers here, I have to say, Tony, that in response to your comment below:

C'mon now, Meowiz....

I don't look that weird. ; )

Heck, I didn't even charge it, LOL!

Your new outfit does look wierd, even though you paid cash for it.(VF=very funny) meowiz

Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2561 of 308881
Subject: Re: Computer Etiquette Date: 6/19/1998 11:28 PM
PSUEngineerFool, thanks for clarifying what you meant about computer etiquette for me.meowiz

Author: TMFRunkle Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2572 of 308881
Subject: Re: Computer Etiquette Date: 6/20/1998 11:14 PM
Let me add a little to computer etiquette too - one I'm guilty of is writing quick and short messages as replies. After the darn thing is posted, it looks like the writer is irritated and curt. Things often don't come across as intended when posted on-line, so try to put some greetings in the message. Tony (TMF2Aruba) does this really well.
George

Author: DonRay Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2573 of 308881
Subject: Re: Computer Etiquette Date: 6/20/1998 11:23 PM
And doesn't it seem like the thought "I shouldn't say that" hits the gray matter just about the same time you click the Submit Reply button? After that there is no eraser to grap hold of. Can be downright embarassing.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement