Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bigdoginvestor Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5910  
Subject: COMS up bigtime today on buyout rumor Date: 10/5/2006 3:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dow Jones News reports "rumor" of 3Com buyout in range of $7/share. This the apparent raison d'etre for COMS' 15% share price today. Might be the right time to "Sell - rather than buy - on the rumor".

Print the post Back To Top
Author: bigdoginvestor Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5899 of 5910
Subject: Re: COMS up bigtime today on buyout rumor Date: 10/5/2006 4:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
The $7/share private equity firm rumored buyout price reported by Dow Jones would represent a 58%+ premium over today's opening COMS share price of $4.42.

As Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "Wouldn't it be pretty to think so?"

I don't buy that - even $6/share would be a 35%+ premium. So took advantage of today's frenzy to unload my entire position in 3Com - a firm that's seen 3 different CEOs (so far) this year.

Time will tell if that was a wise or 'foolish' decision....

Best of luck to all,
BDI

Author: KudieM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5900 of 5910
Subject: Re: COMS up bigtime today on buyout rumor Date: 10/5/2006 6:03 PM
Well, all I can do is sit back and hope you're the foolish one! This was my first stock when I opened my Roth earlier this year. Wow, seems like a lifetime ago........but I bought at $5.12 before I knew anything better, so I'm stuck with riding it out and also hoping for the best. Wish I had been more Foolish back then, but was foolish on this stupid stock so now just have to ride it out!

Sure do hope they go to $7, I'll be very happy with that!

Cheers!

Author: bigdoginvestor Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5901 of 5910
Subject: Re: COMS up bigtime today on buyout rumor Date: 10/7/2006 12:18 PM
COMS actually got above your $5.12 buy price - for about two nanoseconds - on Thursday. But since you've got it in a Roth presumably you're prepared to hold onto it for many years, and you may yet do okay by hanging onto it.

I bought it at just under $5 and managed to get out a little above my buy price Thursday.

I don't necessarily think COMS is a bad stock for the long haul. But it embodied similar speculative risk characteristics as another stock (TINY) I own, so I thought I should decide between the two and shed the other.

COMS is, in theory, a "turnaround" story which - if successful - could reward you very handsomely down the road. Going through 3 CEOs in under 12 months, however, gave me reason for additional pause.....there's some "issue" there that's opaque to the individual investor......that made me uncomfortable.

Good luck!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement