Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41521  
Subject: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 8:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- ConAgra Foods Inc. is recalling Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Great Value Peanut Butter for possible salmonella contamination, officials said Wednesday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has linked 288 cases of food-borne illness in 39 states to consumption of varying types of Peter Pan peanut butter, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Great Value manufactured at the same plant in Georgia, could carry a similar risk of contamination, the center said. Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers is not affected.

"Although none of our extensive product tests has indicated the presence of salmonella, we are taking this precautionary measure because consumer health and safety is our top priority," said Chris Kircher, a ConAgra spokesman...

http://tinyurl.com/3c8a6y
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NoHorses3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28984 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 8:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Peanut butter brands that ROCK...just peanuts--that's all, nothing else. Have to stir it up--that takes about 3-4 minutes. Well worth it! Flavor is all that, and it's healthy....they come in creamy or chunky...

Trader Joe's

Arrowhead Mills

Crazy Richard's

Just the one's I've tried so far. Some "peanut only" brands also come with salt added, but I've never tried those as I don't think the salt is needed.

Nancy

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28985 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 9:09 AM
I follow primarily a vegetarian diet (some fish on occasion, but never meat or poultry). I eat nearly a jar of peanut butter a week. I used to buy Peter Pan all the time, but then (thankfully) I switched to Skippy, because, for some reason, it tasted better to me. However, what makes me concerned is how on earth salmonella got into peanut butter to begin with. I thought it was a raw-egg thing. Was it from the peanuts themselves?, Was it from the other ingredients?, or Was it somewhere in the equipment? Just something else to be worried about, I guess.

Also, "Great Value" brand was part of the recall--but only the peanut butter manufactured at the Con Agra plant in Georgia.

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28986 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 9:58 AM
Recommendations: 0
My favorite brand of "peanut only" is Adams. The lable indicates ingredients as Peanuts, but does indicate it contains 1% or less of salt. I usually get the crunchy style, but sometimes smooth.

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28987 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 10:31 AM
...how on earth salmonella got into peanut butter...

While salmonella is most noted in poultry and eggs, reptiles are a reservoir for it as well. It can be transported via water too.

Maybe this peanut butter was not properly pasteurized?

TB

Author: kaellner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28988 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 11:41 AM
...how on earth salmonella got into peanut butter...

While salmonella is most noted in poultry and eggs, reptiles are a reservoir for it as well. It can be transported via water too.

Maybe this peanut butter was not properly pasteurized?

That is odd. Peanut butter is not pasteurized, but the jars are washed. Aflaxtoxin from mold is very common in peanuts, but should be easy to identify.

jk

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28989 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 2:24 PM
However, what makes me concerned is how on earth salmonella got into peanut butter to begin with

One of the articles I read said that the FDA believes that this is the first known case of salmonella in peanut butter and the cause is unknown. The investigation continues.

Salmonella is most often associated with eggs and chicken. Isn't ConAgra a major processor of poultry?

Christina

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28990 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 2:58 PM
"Peanut butter brands that ROCK...just peanuts--that's all, nothing else."

Joy of Cooking has a peanut butter recipe. It is peanuts ground in a blender or food processor with a bit of vegetable oil. I suspect most of us would add a bit of sugar, honey, molasses, or corn syrup.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28991 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 3:10 PM
"Isn't ConAgra a major processor of poultry?"

As of '02, ConAgra was a lot of products you don't often think about: Healthy Choice, Hunt tomato products, Wesson Oil, Chef BoyarDee, Banquet, Guldens, eggbeaters, SwissMiss, LaChoy, Orville Reddenbacker, Pam, Parkay, BumbleBee, and van Camps.

ConAgra sold most of its meat products (Armour, Butterball, Eckrich, Long MOnt, Lunchmakers) to Smithfield Foods last August.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28992 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 3:23 PM
Peanut butter is not pasteurized, but the jars are washed.

I think the peanut butter is somehow heated before it's sealed--I saw a program showing the Skippy factory process and, from what I recall, they don't glue the factory seal on the jar. The seal is laid over the top of the jar opening and the heat seals it on somehow--I guess it's like canning. And even if the peanut butter isn't pasteurized, aren't the peanuts roasted? Raw peanuts have a blander taste it seems. Maybe I'm wrong, but all the peanut butter I've ever tried tastes like the peanuts are roasted first. Shouldn't that kill salmonella?

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28993 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 3:45 PM
...Maybe I'm wrong, but all the peanut butter I've ever tried tastes like the peanuts are roasted first. Shouldn't that kill salmonella?

Yes, however, it may get contaminated after roasting the peanuts. Hence it is heated or at least pasteurized within the glass jars. If not, then salmonella et al may be lurking :(

TB

Author: kaellner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28994 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 4:26 PM
Yes, however, it may get contaminated after roasting the peanuts. Hence it is heated or at least pasteurized within the glass jars. If not, then salmonella et al may be lurking :(

Have you seen a peanut butter label that says it is pasteurized?

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28995 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/15/2007 7:42 PM
Recommendations: 4

Have you seen a peanut butter label that says it is pasteurized?

No.

Then again I have not seen Campbell's soups labeled "commercially sterilized" either. These are industry standards.

TB

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28996 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/16/2007 12:47 AM
However, what makes me concerned is how on earth salmonella got into peanut butter to begin with.

I thot the same when mexican produce caused the same. Illegal product, snuck in. And traces of ddt which they still use.

Then I remembered rambo telling me of being ordered to shut his eyes and mouth tight when showering in some places there.

they eat it daily. We live in a bubble of sterility. I'll bet I can eat the stuff but ain't so sure anymore. Resistance is not a bad thing and there is only one way to get it. I often nibble on stuff before it is thrown out. Frankly I am kinda ashamed cuz I am more likly to toss stuff I used to eat. I need to think about this.

chris

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28997 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/16/2007 1:11 AM
Recommendations: 3

And by illegal mexicans whom skipped the health tests to enter here. Irene had an extensive test at much expence done by the only place there we accept as valid. I don't think blanket amnisty is a good idea.

I say we wall off the boarder send them back and let them enter legally. with work permits, crime background, and health tests. Like I and irene went thru.

Illegals murder some 27 people daily also.

I am not willing to get sick or die for cheep labor. It's big illegals and this one is real. And dems and reps both ignore it so no politics here.

Chris

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28998 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/16/2007 2:13 AM
Recommendations: 3
Salmonella is most often associated with eggs and chicken. Isn't ConAgra a major processor of poultry?

Something that appears to be missing here is that any large company has severall processors usually located close to the distrubitution area to save on shipping. They all depending on the brand get blind spot checks. Nf was in the biz, bingo! They walk in with there mobile lab outside and start inspecting everything from floor to celing. They go into storage rooms, active lines, the bathrooms, or anyplace. If you fail you need to crawl over broken glass to keep the contract. An entire room (large) will be taged 'do not ship'. And you are on the %$$# list. These are the ones (canning here) that require polishers, wine filters, uv tubes, and magnetic filters. Along with a perfect tripple roll on the can. And IT BETTER TASTE GOOD!!.

We packed for other labels that never gave a whit about anything but delivery time. .... They got the crap we ran after 5 and on weekends when local (gov) health people never showed up.

You get what you pay for mostly, believe me skippy is not sleeping now, there are people crawling over every spec of everything as we speek. Agents have been sent down every rabbet trail they can find. The NAME is in truble, that is real bad.

Big deel you may think? There may be a million tons of product in the normally flowing pipeline that just got cloged. That is a big deel. And they want to be sure every speck that does get purchased after the plage is clean. ... Anything in question will be diverted to animal feed, low cost packers or discarded, probably rendered in some form by fda appruval.

This is A BIG DEEL to these people. When tracted down heads will roll and if you keep the contract you will do a major clean up, rebuild if deemed proper, and blind inspected a lot. And there will be some spyes inserted to your chain.

Chris

So much more,

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28999 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/16/2007 3:16 AM
Hence it is heated or at least pasteurized within the glass jars.

I don't think so. That would be costly, time consuming, and just hard to do. Heating in a tank is not hard but you have to empty it before it gets a cooked taste. Flashing is very common, you pass the material thru a thin space at a controlled speed and plate temp to get just the right result. Then generally it gets slapped into a container lidded and dropps into a cold water bath to stop the cooking. People work long and hard to get it right.

When I everaporated juce I had to keep an eye on the temp, just 10 degrees was tastable. Taste is everything. Labs (we had one) are fine but you have to do frequent tasting. The kindes of product all have a taste you learn and labell so in the blending stage it tastes good.

It's really simple and complex at the same time.

Chris

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29000 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/16/2007 8:50 AM
Follow-up--more brands being investigated--no further recalls yet (emphasis mine):

CHICAGO (Reuters) - U.S. health officials said on Wednesday they are investigating a possible link between peanut butter and more than 100 salmonella cases in 37 states.

ConAgra Foods Inc., the maker of Peter Pan brand peanut butter, has been contacted by the Food and Drug Administration, ConAgra spokesman Chris Kircher said, adding that the FDA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention were looking at the possibility that peanut butter was the cause of the salmonella cases. Other companies have also been contacted.

"We're not clear yet what brands are involved, but we are talking with them to better understand the information that they have at this time," Kircher said....

...Peanut butter appears to be the cause of the cases, said Dr. Timothy Jones, deputy state epidemiologist for the Tennessee Department of Health.

Tennessee has had about 20 cases of salmonella that may be related to peanut butter, Jones said, adding that in all there were cases in at least 37 states dating as far back as October....

...But, he added, investigators have not been able to grow the salmonella in any brand of peanut butter.

ConAgra's Kircher said the company randomly tests a jar of peanut butter in each production line each hour and has found no traces of salmonella since at least 2004.

"We're trying to understand what they've found, what peanut butters are involved and what if any actions are necessary to take at this point," he said....

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=1471A8E08C604E589E04339B320DEEB8

I don't get it. No salmonella has actually been found at Con Agra, they can't grow it in peanut butter even if they try. Yet the infections are being linked to peanut butter. Odd.

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29001 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/16/2007 10:21 AM
Hence it is heated or at least pasteurized within the glass jars.

I don't think so. That would be costly, time consuming, and just hard to do...

Canned foods are placed in pressure cookers the size of farm silos.

TB

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29002 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/16/2007 4:12 PM
"Canned foods are placed in pressure cookers the size of farm silos."

Yes, foods that are supplied in cans and bottles without refrigeration have to be sterilized. Otherwise, the food would be moldy when opened and jars would be exploding on the shelf from biological growth. And of course avoiding food poisoning or pathogens of all sorts is also needed. So sterile processing is fundamental to food packaging.

When containers are pressure sterilized after packing, it is hard to imagine an organism like salmonella surviving. But then when the containers are metal or glass, you can process them more vigorously than when they are packed in plastic (which has a lower melting temp).

As to how salmonella got into the packages, if presterilized jars are filled with presterilized peanut butter, you could see that the jars might get contaminated in handling at various stages.

But this looks to be a case of inadequate processing or unusual contamination.

Bioterrorism? Maybe.

Author: kaellner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29003 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/16/2007 4:27 PM
But this looks to be a case of inadequate processing or unusual contamination.

Bioterrorism? Maybe.

The water supply would be a better target than peanut butter.

Anyone ask the people if they have chicken dropping on the peanut butter jar? I bet the peanut butter is innocent. There is a different source.

jk

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29006 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/16/2007 11:53 PM
I don't get it. No salmonella has actually been found at Con Agra, they can't grow it in peanut butter even if they try. Yet the infections are being linked to peanut butter. Odd.

No it's not odd at all. You don't know where it came from but it did happen. Your dealing with people. All you can do is guess at first, lots of bad info from memory and so on.Thousands of posibilitys and you don't want to jump to soon and tag an inocent entity.

I remember a lys omthing (bad) being traced to sara lee near here. The plant was shut down and tons of product chicken I think was dumped. Workers were numbered for questinoing and sent home. Then the place was decended on by agents like fruit flies on old peaches. Every inch was checked for months with no result. Finally they found some in an ac unit hanging from the celing. You really need to be carefull here. It was gingerly microscoped bit by bit and found true positive heavy infestation in the holes the mounting bolts passed thru. By then production had moved elswhere and the plant and workers were idled I think still.

This is not an easy game to play.

Just an example; When I sold hogs they all had to be taged with a nasty ear clip. They caused lots of problems like infection. An fda inspector randomly showed up at the selling place and they better be taged. Some byers removed them shortly.

The tags were for back tracing any problem cuz severall lots get mixed. Without them you have a big can of worms to trace. And people are not eager to confess.

There is a code on almost anything you by now, it is long and full of ; : , '. It gives the plant, day, maybe hour, line or whatever to know exactly where it's from. Reckords also show who was working at that time.

Chris

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29007 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/16/2007 11:59 PM
Canned foods are placed in pressure cookers the size of farm silos.

That's when you want to cook them. Pasturising is not at all the same.

Chris

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29008 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/17/2007 12:25 AM
But then when the containers are metal or glass, you can process them more vigorously than when they are packed in plastic (which has a lower melting temp).

Cans have for a very very long time had a poly (plastic) lining to prevent metal taste or contamination such as lead or tin which is long gone. Tomato's acid will eat a can in time without it. Fiber or paper cans are also lined as are the lids. The lining is probably compounded for the product it will carry, our cans all were wrapped on skids and labeled at (us can ?, not sure) at the factory.

Just scrape the inside of any can, it's there. And it better be perfect or the whole load gets dumped. Then you get sued.

Glass (quartz) is best but it's heavy and ya can't freeze it. Plastics (petrolium) are really doing a good job and improving daily.

Chris

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29009 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/17/2007 12:43 AM
The water supply would be a better target than peanut butter.

And soooooo easy to hit.

No I am not giving any advice.

Contaminating food would not be easy but it can be done. Here once some gov feed place mixed fire retardent in feed. Then after realising diluted it and sent it out. Most of michigans dairy herd was wiped out and a zillion farmers were wiped out with no recorse. One guy shot all his cows and left, and the gov went after him to extract every last dime he had to pay for the clean up, all the time saying you can't sue the gov but we can sue you.

Chris

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29013 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/17/2007 2:30 PM
...Here once some gov feed place mixed fire retardent in feed. Then after realising diluted it and sent it out. Most of michigans dairy herd was wiped out and a zillion farmers were wiped out with no recorse. One guy shot all his cows and left, and the gov went after him to extract every last dime he had to pay for the clean up, all the time saying you can't sue the gov but we can sue you.

IIRC, about 15-years ago. Ron Howard stared in a TV story about that farmer.

TB

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29026 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/18/2007 12:39 AM
IIRC, about 15-years ago. Ron Howard stared in a TV story about that farmer.

TB

It was true. He lived near here. Wiped out thru no falt of his, animals real sick and dying. A lifetime of hard work gone. He shot them and left everything with nothing. Then he was persued as a murderer, bad mouthed in the press and put on trial by the gov that caused it all.

Chris

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29081 of 41521
Subject: Re: ConAgra Recalls Peter Pan Peanut Butter Date: 2/21/2007 7:59 PM
One of the articles I read said that the FDA believes that this is the first known case of salmonella in peanut butter and the cause is unknown. The investigation continues.

Perhaps the salmonella was on one of the added ingredients. The sweeteners or stabilizers.

Vickifool

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement