UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mew5280 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127683  
Subject: Condo or Single Family House? Date: 10/11/2005 5:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I currently own a home. If you've followed some other threads of mine (don't want to repeat) you know that I have little or no equity in my current house, a no interest loan and am paying off 30K in credit card debt. Together, my husband and I make currently (both contractors) $94K. We are both trying to become permanent employees to avoid having downtime between jobs, one of my downfalls. I'm close and feel confident this will happen soon. Incomes will stay the same, we'll just have better benefits.

This recent financial downfall is very new, I was doing much better before 2001 and things are looking up. My credit score was just done and is 728.

SO, in the past year I have been trying SO hard to snowball the CC debt. It is still at the same place where it was last year!! FRUSTRATING. Of course from May to Sept of this year, I was unemployed. Still made minimum payments on credit cards but didn't make a dent.

ON TO THE QUESTION
Would selling our house and breaking even and buying a condo at the same price (200K) help us save money down the line? I say this because I know our life would become simpler in a condo. First, we would be buying something with half the square footage we have now, we would get rid of lots of extra furniture. We would no longer have a yard, sprinkler system and pond to maintain. There would be no remodeling (looking at brand new). My husband could bike or bus to work. I'm looking at a perm job where I could do the same, if we go with the condos we're looking at. Utilities theoretically should be much less since the SF is lower AND the new condos will not have drafty windows. That may be covered by the building, too. Don't know...

On this particular condo project, closing is 8 months away, giving us time to pay down debt or save some for downpayment or win the lottery ha ha ha.

In my budget review, I can see that we spend 500-1000 a month on what I call "home stuff" - Home Depot, yard stuff, fixing this or that. I'm thinking most of that would go away (of course we'd have an HOA but I doubt it would be more than a few hundred).

Has anyone done this? Thought of doing this? What things should I factor in and consider that I may have overlooked?

Although I appreciate the wellmeaning posters who want to comment on the credit card debt or the no interest loan, PLEASE only address the question: Would moving to a condo help save money? thank you!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement