Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: futuretrust Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21  
Subject: Conference Call Date: 8/15/1998 1:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I listened in on the conference call this morning.
They covered a lot of things that were in the press release but there was some other good things said as well. My summary is as follows:

Reason for sale - Au Bon Pain unit has to invest in their ABP 2000 concept to succeed. This competed for capital with the SLB concept. The sale gives Au Bon Pain new source of capital and debt free. They stated that SLB will use the proceeds to eliminate all debt and have a little left over (1.50 a share)to build some Cafes. Everyone's happy (yeah right).

Sale price - approx 78 million or 4 times cash flow. Not great but these were non-performing assets IMO.

Quarter results - SLB unit revenues up 18%, operating income was up slightly. SLB Operating income not great because of the infrastructure they are paying now for future earnings coming from new stores. They mentioned they were building commisaries.

New Company - Name will most likely be Saint Louis Bread Co. But, the cafe's will still be called Panera outside of St. Louis.

SLB numbers - They gave some numbers in a pro forma fashion for SLB. They said EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Tax) was, rounding off, .7,3.6 and 6.7 Million for 95,96& 97. They commented this didn't include overhead, which they estimated at 1.7 and 2.3 for 96 and 97. No estimates were given for future performance.

Future plans - '99 they will open 22 company owned and 54 franchises. Long term goal was 1/3 company owned and 2/3 franchises. They said they look for penetration rates of 1 store for every 100,000 people although they are much more concentrated in St. Louis. Someone else mentioned they had a virtual lock on the lunch market in St. Louis. I have relatives in St. Louis, they concur. I did a quick calculation on 250 million in the US and came up with 2,500 cafe's. They now have 129, sorry, I get a little ahead of myself. No plans for the west coast at least half way through the year 2000. Unfortunately, this is where I live.

That's all I have, hope it was informative.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement