UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ggambler Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75637  
Subject: Confused which IRA is best? Date: 1/16/2001 1:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm so excited to finally being able to begin my investment budget that I planned for this year! One item on my list to take care of is to begin an IRA plan. I currently have one (my name only) with my bank which frankly I opened last year for the tax write off. Right now its only 500.00 but I have a budget in place so I will be contributing the max of 2,000 per year. Here's my question...do I/should I setup a Roth account and should I be doing this jointly with my husband or just in my name?

My husband has a company sponsored 401k that he contributes to (his salary is 80,000). I'm a homemaker (I hate that term but currently not using my BSCS :) and have a small part time job...about $10,000 annual. (we file jointly) I want to setup an investment account for us but not sure if, like I said, it should be in both our names, just mine, a Roth or a traditional IRA. I don't mind not taking the tax write off now but only if it makes sense not to do that...and I'm not quite sure if it does. We also plan on opening a DRIP account and other investments which we will do jointly. I'm just confused on how to start the IRA one.

Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks!
Gina
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement