Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: paulfife One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25247  
Subject: confusing 401k Date: 2/7/2002 11:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am having trouble figuring out a few things with my 401k plan.

First of all, I am unable to figure out the symbols for the funds offered. Some funds have different "classes" (A, B, C, I). I figured I could figure out which was offered by looking at the values of the funds on the same day and finding a match. Unfortunately none of the values are even close!

For example I looked at Aetna Ascent which has 4 classes: ATAAX, AAFBX, AAFCX, and ASCEX. The NAV of all of these as of 2/06/2002 was in the $9.70s. The web site for my 401k, however, lists the unit value as 15.1677! Either NAV does not coorespond to unit value or I am barking up the wrong tree here!

Here is a list of my 401k investment options including the unit value and the YTD return as of 2/06/2002. The three digit number is a fund code - I have no clue what use it is used for.

031 Aetna Ascent VP
15.1677 -3.19%
032 Aetna Crossroads VP
14.8521 -2.33%
027 Aetna Fixed Account - Standard
035 Aetna Index Plus Large Cap VP
16.5486 -5.40%
033 Aetna Legacy VP
14.9581 -1.30%
003 Aetna Money Market VP
133 Fidelity® VIP Contrafund® Portfolio - Initial Class
20.2189 -3.00%
109 Fidelity® VIP Growth Portfolio - Initial Class
22.9805 -6.14%
119 Janus Aspen Series Aggressive Growth Portfolio - I Shares
15.2545 -12.70%
118 Janus Aspen Series Flexible Income Portfolio - I Shares
11.6247 .70%
123 Janus Aspen Series Worldwide Growth Portfolio - I Shares
22.2338 -8.45%

Being able to figure out what I am looking at will help me determing the next step. Given that I am not receiving any employer matching should I find another place for my money where I will have more options, but no tax deferred investment?

I apologize if this is too long, but I figured I'd err on the side of too much detail rather than too little.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement