UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76080  
Subject: Re: Thinking about retirement...plans Date: 1/31/2004 12:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Congrats on paying down that cc debt!

I just went on the Vanguard website and looked up the Vanguard Institutional Index Fund (VINIX). I don't know if this is exactly the same as the one that's offered to you, but it's probably close. According to Vanguard this fund tries to match the S&P500 index and it's expense ratio is .05 (don't know if you can find anything cheaper than that). Check the prospectus you have to see if it's the same one, or close.

Also found a 'Wellington' fund (VWELX), but again yours might be slightly different. This one was a balanced fund of stocks (60-70%) and bonds (30-40%). Claims to be the nation's oldest balanced fund. The bond holdings have an average maturity of 5-15 years. It's always best to check the actual prospectus and see what their current bond holding maturity is. The Expense Ratio is .36 and it has a yield of 2.36%.

Since you're still young, you might not want to hold anything in bonds, so the Institutional Index Fund might be better for you. Also, if interest rates rise, bonds with maturities of longer than 5 years will almost certainly decrease in price, thus decreasing the value of the fund's bond holdings.

So, if I were you, I'd go with the Institutional Index, but as the other poster noted, I'd also look for another fund that matches the Russell 2000. Then you could divide your investment between the two so that you have some exposure to small-cap equities also. What percentage should go to each is really up to you.

That's my 2 cents...

2old

NOTE: All figures and facts given here for the Vanguard funds came from the Vanguard website and I am not responsible for their accuracy!
As the saying goes, "Read your prospectus!"

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement