UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: zgriner Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Re: Investing in a Roth IRA Date: 12/2/1998 10:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Congrats on your new life!

Should I even start looking at the Roth IRA at this present time or just concentrate on my 401K plan at work.
First decide how much you want to contribute per year. Allocate that contribution so that you fund your 401k up to your employer's match threshold. Allocate the next $2000 to fund your Roth IRA. If there is anything left, add that to your 401k allocation.

And do I contribute to the Roth IRA at the end of each year in a lump sum or can my job take money out of my check and contribute to the account for me.
You want to invest in your IRA throughout the year to maximize your return. First decide if you are opening a Roth IRA through a mutual fund or brokerage. Many mutual funds and some brokerages will let you setup an automatic withdrawal from the your checking or savings account. I don't know if they will permit automatic deposits to the account since there is a IRA trustee to consider.

Zev
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement