Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Congratulations!!!!! I am an avid contester, so I love it when people win. I love it even more when I win.

About the taxes on your winnings ... You will need to include the $2000 on your 1040 for 2001. You will have to file a 1040 for 2001, because it is the only form where you can report a contest winning. You do it on the line labeled "other income".

How to pay and how much to pay?
Based on the info you gave, you are probably in the 28% tax bracket. That means the tax on the $2000 is $560. Technically, the tax is due in the quarter you won the money. So if you won the money in April, the tax is due today (June 15th). To pay now you would need to get a
1040-ES (estimated payments) and a 1040 -V (voucher). Try the IRS website at

Another option, since the tax is a small amount, you won't be subject to penalties if you wait until you file your taxes to pay (assuming you have not increased your other income). Take $560 of the $1000 cash you won and put it in a safe place earning interest until April 15, 2002.

As always, consult a paid tax professional ... the money you save might be your own.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.