Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Brave won Best Animated Film at tonight's Academy Awards, continuing Pixar's well earned tradition of excellence in animation and storytelling.

Fuskie
Who knows that for those of us who were originally Pixar owners and came to Disney wondering whether it would be the end of our company, I think we can safely say that Pixar not only has survived under the watchful gaze of The Mouse, but grown and prospered into the company we all hoped they could and would be...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Speaking solely in terms of shareholder value, I don't like the Oscars because I feel companies spend too much money to win these awards. They may indeed put a bump in short-term revenue for the picture, but once a project has been out for a long while, I would rather the money spent on campaigns to win the Oscar not be risked in such fashion. In fact, I did read once that, generally speaking, at least at one time, Disney preferred profits over prestige (that might even be a direct quote of what I read).

However, I'll say that I wish it had been Frankenweenie that won. Brave and Wreck-it Ralph succeeded at the box office. Frankenweenie could have used a little bump. And I have to presume they didn't campaign too heavily for the Burton feature.

So, yes, Pixar won, and it was a good night for the company. But that company already won Oscars (at least I'm pretty sure it has, I think even several Best Pictures, but I may be wrong about that). Too bad it wasn't the other cartoon.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Pixar has had 2 features nominated for Best Picture, Up in 2009 and Toy Story 3 in 2010, neither of which won. I believe both benefited from the expansion to 10 nominated movies for Best Picture. Disney Animation has only had one feature nominated for Best Picture, Beauty & The Beast, which also did not win. Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs won a special honorary Oscar, presented to Walt Disney by Shirley Temple, a regular sized statuette followed by 7 diminutive statuettes.

I know many who were rooting for Wreck It Ralph, though.

Fuskie
Who thinks Tim Burton has a special following of fans and given his particular stylings will never gain a traditional mass audience, but expect its long term value to be quite strong...
No. of Recommendations: 2
I personally was rooting for Wreck It Ralph. I saw both Ralph and Brave, and they were both good, but I liked Ralph better. But then, I was an 80's kid who grew up with classic video games and arcades, so maybe I'm biased.

My kids (ages 4 & 6) seem to slightly prefer Brave, though I think they're biased because they saw both in the theater, but have only gotten repeat viewings of Brave on DVD so far. But I think their favorite movie of the year was Madagascar 3, so I'm not putting too much stock in their taste for picking the Oscars. Polka dot, polka dot, polka dot, polka dot.
Advertisement