UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: franchot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 455641  
Subject: Consensus on Europe in Freefall Date: 4/27/2013 4:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The Financial Times interviews Martin Shulz, president of the European Parliament, on the state of play re Euroland. Gideon Rachman expects the usual litany of cliches, but is surprised by Shulz's apparent frankness:

The EU is really threatened by failure... I think we should not underestimate the dramatic reality.... I have the feeling that people are not taking sufficient account of what is going on in Europe... the moment people withdraw their support from an idea, the idea is finished. Martin Schulz

Quite so. Some might suggest that the reason why there is diminishing support for the Euro project is because the negative consequences of this grandiose federalism are becoming increaingly explicit to voters from Limassol, Limerick, Leipzig. Naturally, the president of the European parliament does not identify stultifying bureacracy and an untenable currency union as the root of the problem:

Conveniently enough, Schulz's proposed solution to this crisis of public confidence is to grant a much larger role to the European Parliament.

What about France? According to Shulz, it is experiencing

a deep psychological crisis created by a justified mistrust for a political system that has created a political class that is widely disconnected from the rest of the country.

As an analysis of the 21st century relationship between the citizen and the state, some might say this eloquent critique extends beyond Gallic shores.....

Since this is an FT dinner date, it's always good to know who picks up the tab:

Shulz had said that he must pay, explaining that parliamentarians are not allowed to accept hospitality. I counter explained that while our guests choose the restaurant, FT journalists are obliged to pay. It's one of those British rules...

www.ft.com
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement