Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: monica3674 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: My budget Date: 8/22/2003 7:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Considering there are four of you, you're doing great! I keep hearing that kids are expensive, and I think this is one reason my DH is glad we're waiting a few more years!

Mazske writes Electric - +/- $900

Our electric bills run about $16 - $20 in the summer and maybe a bit higher in the winter.

Some things we've done to keep our electric down (with kids, though, this may be more difficult!)

- Keep the lights off in the daytime. Even after three years in this house, I tend to reach for the lamp switch instead of opening the shades. I catch myself though and open them up.

- We have central air, but we don't use it. Our lower level is naturally cool. Upstairs, though, we bought a room air conditioner last year to use in our bedroom. We turn this on about an hour before we go to bed and keep it on all night.

- We purchased those fluorescent light bulbs and have them pretty much in every room of the house. You can find them on sale or with rebates so that brings down the cost.

- Keep any stereo equipment or things like the VCR unplugged when you're not using it. I read that those things use like 80% of their elecricity when they're off.

We do have a gas stove and dryer, so this cuts down on our electric use.

Hope this helps!

Monica

Oh, one more thing...My DH has been learning how to do all types of work on the cars himself. He is by no means mechanically gifted, but he reads, then talks to the guys at Murray's. He has changed the brakes (front and back), changed my alternator, changes the oil, and some other stuff which I have no idea about! This really saves a lot of money spent on labor at the auto shop.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement